Pipe dream?

-

FISHBREATH

Reaction score
I have been researching some information regarding casting of aluminum. I could be nuts, but I want to build motor-controlled side-view mirrors like the new cars use.

I have located some companies that sell the motor packs and control switches. I want to begin with the E-body side mirrors because they have the large wind fairing and I have a set sitting in the garage. My plan is to make master castings of the right and left side mirrors and modify the internal structure to accept the motor packs. Some engineering adjustments will be needed to clear the fairings from the vent windows and to allow clearance for power lines.

The older, chrome, side-view mirrors might not have enough depth to contain the motor units, so I will first try the E-body style.

Am I freakin nuts?

I wont say you're nuts. A right door mirror that isn't remote controlled sux. To modify the OEM mirror(s) to be cable remote is doable using all Chrysler parts. Been there done that. Good luck

Thanks, Red. I am 100% sure that I will try this. I have been studying how others cast intricate parts in their own backyard. One guy actually cast a motorcycle cylinder.

It will take some engineering and mechanical work to fit the electrical parts and wires into the prototype, which will be a new casting from original mirrors.

If I am successful in modernizing E-body side-view mirrors, I would then try to modernize older A-, B-, and C-body mirrors. They have a much thinner profile, however, which will likely mean I will need to increase the depth of the mirror housing a bit to contain the motor pack.

What about using the ralley mirrors? They may be deep enough to accept the motors etc.

That is what I will use for my first prototype because I have a set of E-body mirrors sitting in the garage. I will need to change the bases a bit to allow the fairings to clear the vent windows, so the mirror faces will be located a couple of inches aft of the normal position.

-
Back