Pirate jack disc brake kit.

-

845dart71

Reaction score
Has anyone used the a body small bolt pattern power brake kit from pirate jack? If so is it worth the $720 and what size rims and backspacing are you running with it. Thanks, Bill.

$720 could get you a SBP disk pull from someone here. Give us a website'

Hmmm weird, that stuff sure looks like a large bolt pattern set up, but it says it's 5x4 pattern.

Huh, pretty cool. I probably would've gone this route had I known about it. Has everything you need. I probably have this much in my Kelsey Hayes setup

I think they are close to 11, maybe 10.8" or something. But those calipers look like 73-up BBP style, and from the pics even the disks look like BBP to me.

Yeah I hadn't even noticed that. They definitely look it. Could it be possible they used those calipers because they're more common? Is it even possible to use those calipers and have SBP?

Yeah I hadn't even noticed that. They definitely look it. Could it be possible they used those calipers because they're more common? Is it even possible to use those calipers and have SBP?
Could be their using all 73-up spindles, calipers, caliper mounts, etc, and maybe they are having disks/hubs made the same size as large bolt pattern stuff, but with the small pattern.
I don't know anything about these guys, never heard of them. I'd certainly want to talk to them about this on the phone before ordering anything.

Could be their using all 73-up spindles, calipers, caliper mounts, etc, and maybe they are having disks/hubs made the same size as large bolt pattern stuff, but with the small pattern.
I don't know anything about these guys, never heard of them. I'd certainly want to talk to them about this on the phone before ordering anything.
x2 on that. It would be pretty neat if that is what they're doing. Different, for sure

MBM is the real company. Pirate Jack is just there retail outlet. Google MBM brakes. They sell to a lot of other places too.

Thanks for the responses. If they were using the 73 up spindles, wouldn't you need to replace upper control arm as well? Kit says my stock control arm will work. Any other questions you guys would ask when I call? What size rim / backspacing you guys running who have the disc setup from 73 up disc brakes? I am converting from 9" drums so I Will need to get new rims as well.

Same disk kit without the power booster.
1962-1972 MOPAR A Body Disc Brake Conversion Wheel Kit (wheel pattern 5x4) | eBay

Notice how it says you can use the same UCA's with the supplied adaptor kit? It uses ball joint sleeves to use the later spindles on the earlier small ball joint UCA's. So yes, you can use your original UCA's, but you will have a tapered adaptor in there to make it work.

I believe they're buying blank rotors and just drilling them for the 5x4" pattern. It's all 73+ parts with a small bolt pattern. They may also be machining the outer hub register down a bit, not sure. Or maybe that's why they say it doesn't work with all those 14" wheels, because the hub register is larger on the 73+ stuff than it was on the SBP brakes.

If it's all BBP stuff it will widen the front track width just like a BBP 73+ disk conversion. You'd want more backspacing than with a SBP set up. I was running 15x7" cop rims with 4.25" of backspace and 225/60/15's on my Duster before I went up to 18" rims, that would be about the limit as it was right on the fenders. You can run a little more backspace than that even on 15's, just depends on what you're trying to fit up front for tires. Are you staying with 15" rims?

1962-1972 MOPAR A Body Disc Brake Conversion Wheel Kit (wheel pattern 5x4) | eBay

Notice how it says you can use the same UCA's with the supplied adaptor kit? It uses ball joint sleeves to use the later spindles on the earlier small ball joint UCA's. So yes, you can use your original UCA's, but you will have a tapered adaptor in there to make it work.

I believe they're buying blank rotors and just drilling them for the 5x4" pattern. It's all 73+ parts with a small bolt pattern. They may also be machining the outer hub register down a bit, not sure. Or maybe that's why they say it doesn't work with all those 14" wheels, because the hub register is larger on the 73+ stuff than it was on the SBP brakes.

If it's all BBP stuff it will widen the front track width just like a BBP 73+ disk conversion. You'd want more backspacing than with a SBP set up. I was running 15x7" cop rims with 4.25" of backspace and 225/60/15's on my Duster before I went up to 18" rims, that would be about the limit as it was right on the fenders. You can run a little more backspace than that even on 15's, just depends on what you're trying to fit up front for tires. Are you staying with 15" rims?
I currently have 14" rims but was thinking of getting 15" rims and running 205/60/15's according to this speedo conversion chart Palo Alto Speedometer: Speedometer Calculator changing from my 195/75/14,s will keep speed close to accurate. My hope also with those new tires I will be able to rotate them with no problems.

great thread !

If you're sticking with 205/60/15's then a 15x7" with a 4.25" backspace would be fine, plenty of room all around. That's the stock Mopar spec for the 15x7" police rims. Should be about the same for all the 73+ steel rims actually. If you're planning on rotating the tires I would honestly go to 225/60/15's, Barracuda's can fit a 275 out back with all of the stock suspension, even 225's will look tiny back there.

According to the salesman that I spoke to, they are actually 62-72 B body spindles. I was thinking of simply buying their rotors to go with my 73 BBP setup but it doesn't sound like that will work.

I guess you would need to get rotors and calipers for a B body then if they needed to be replaced?

-
Back