piston/cylinder head question

-

abdywgn

dismantler
Reaction score
had a Dart with a 68 340,headers,484 DC cam,LD-340 with 3310,3.23 gears and 4-spd. car ran 13.18 @108 with 7 X 27" cheater slicks.I could not shift, never used 4th gear, valve guides were sloppy because the heads had been surfaced and I never checked clearances. SO, now, I would like to replicate this combo using a 360. ? is,do I use pop-up pistons with the 587 open chamber heads OR use flat-top pistons with a smaller chamber? I see where the flat-top set-up would probably be better, but my 1st 340 Dart had old TRW pop-ups and also ran 108 in the 1/4...but only had power in 1st and 2nd because the fuel system was not up to snuff. this is more of a what would it have done as anything else. wanna run pump gas only, not E85,yet. and since I'm not gettin any younger...whatcha all think? Thanks! Bob

You sound like me in my late teen early 20's. 69 Dart GTS 340, 4 speed, 750dp, ld340, headers, 4.10 suregrip, sig erson cam 300dur/500lift,TRW pop up's. The only clutch I could keep in it was a DC race clutch and pressure plate, SS springs and Sox & Martin pinion snubber. Ran like a stripped a## ape. Man I wish I had that car back. A little trip down memory lane.

If you have to stick with open chambered heads then there isnt much to be said. That's because a mild to midrange cam will ping with more than about 9.8:1 static. You have to run a larger cam to get the cylinder pressure down and a dynamic compression figure of less than 8.25:1. If you go with a closed chamber design, the parts and be changed to get a dynamic closer to 8.5:1 (static around 10.7:1 and cam in the 228°*@.050 or so will get around this) which will mean more power on cheaper fuel. I use 8.5 dynamic as a max for pump fuel and iron closed chamber. 8.75 as max with aluminum closed chamber. 8.25 max with open chamber iron.

jefflock, I had the Hays street/strip gold set-up,listed at 3400 lbs,used tge 10.95 pressure plate and 10.5 disc. It was a great feeling to side step the clutch at 4000 or so...with the 3310, I used the black secondary spring;secondaries never fully opened but it just kept pullin' and pullin'!

moper,guess I wanted what I had, cake and eat it too! probably the best for now would be the dished 360 pistons already in use along with a set of Magnum heads. cam accordingly and be able to use a full advance curve instead of cutting back on it to stop knock.

OR- pop-up pistons, oc heads,big cam,pump gas and water/alcohol injection!!!

maybe down the road. Thanks for the input! Bob

Get the car rolling backwards then floor it and side step the clutch. Oooo What a feeling!
I just happen to have a set of those old heavy dc/trw 12.5-1 pistons.

Get the car rolling backwards then floor it and side step the clutch. Oooo What a feeling!
I just happen to have a set of those old heavy dc/trw 12.5-1 pistons.

Yeah, if your initials are JJ, you can leave them burnt into the road, lol.
Of course, back in the '60's, I watched people nail reverse, and metal down, hit drive. Sometimes it was funny, especially when a guy with a Ford c-4 tried it.

-
Back