Piston recommendations

-

78kitcar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well i bought 8 brand new paper weights from a member here and have to start over. I'm looking for recommendations on pistons for my 360 magnum build. What i have is a standard bore 360 magnum,original cast crank,engine quest heads 2.02 stainless intake and 1.625 stainless exhaust valves. I have not selected a cam or rockers yet. Engine will go in my 67 barracuda with a 4speed. Any help is great. Thx everyone.

What do you plan to do with it? what rear gear ratio? what compression ratio are you looking to run?
That said, you can NEVER go wrong with a forged pistons :twisted: I have forged aluminum Ross Racing pistons with Total Seal gapless piston rings.

I'm looking for a respectable street cruiser. As for rear end gear probably 3.55 and compression ratio I'm guess 10.1 or 11.1??? This is my first engine build so i need alot of HELP!! oh yeah i also got 340 rods in the paper weight transaction that I'm hoping to use,but not ruling out getting new rods also.

I have to agree with 1970duster, but im biased as im selling a set right now. Alot depends on what you want to do with the motor/car.

With closed chamber heads and good quench a 10:1 not a bad number but you'll be running Premium all the time. 9.5:1 would be better with cast iron heads (you can run 10.5-11.0:1 ratio with aluminum with good quench and premium gas). I'd pick the cam before the pistons if I were you. That way you can get the Max out of the combo.

With closed chamber heads and good quench a 10:1 not a bad number but you'll be running Premium all the time. 9.5:1 would be better with cast iron heads (you can run 10.5-11.0:1 ratio with aluminum with good quench and premium gas). I'd pick the cam before the pistons if I were you. That way you can get the Max out of the combo.

Any Cam recommandations LOL... dont want the car to sound like a boat in the water but definetly want a "lumpy" sound.

Which kind of roller cam do you what to run, hyd or solid? Hyd will mean less maintenance but won't spin as high Rpms. A solid will require more maintenance but will spin high Rpms and take advantage of that 4 speed of yours.

Which kind of roller cam do you what to run, hyd or solid? Hyd will mean less maintenance but won't spin as high Rpms. A solid will require more maintenance but will spin high Rpms and take advantage of that 4 speed of yours.

Please excuse my stupidity,but when you say a solid cam requires more maintenance....what exactly does that mean?

I've been assembling parts for my 99' magnum engine. Their isn't much of a selection of pistons to choose from. I was trying to have about 10.0 for compression. I have eddy heads. I bought KB 323 hypers. They have a elevated quench pad, and a 18 cc dish. I wanted to go with the 107's but that put me up to approx. 11.0. This car is more of a cruiser. When I had the engine decked, it took .010 to get them cleaned up. So my pistons are above deck average .009. With a felpro .054 gasket I'm at 9.75 compression.

I didn't look into forged pistons at the time but this may have been a better solution. The thing I missed when ordering these pistons was that the quench pad was elevated above the overall piston height .050. So when I was checking installed piston height to deck is when I realized my mistake. I then had to have these quench pads machined off. A rookie blunder! Live and learn.

Hind sight being 20/20 it would have been better to buy the 107's, like crackedback suggested, and then pay the money for metal gaskets and dial my compression to what I wanted.

-
Back