Placement of bumper guards, 67 Barracuda

-

RDJ

Reaction score
When I got my car, it had bumper guards, and I just got the bumpers and bumper guards rechromed. It seems I don't have the holes for the proper placement of the guards. At the time I got the car (2.5 years ago) it seemed to me that the bumper guards were kind of weird, on the back bumper, it kind of went over the backup light. I didn't think much of it at the time, and I gutted the car shortly thereafter.

Fast forward to now. It is almost all together, and the holes for the bumper gaurds seemed like they would either be too far out, or too far in. I looked at a picture of a 67 Barracuda in the advertising pamphlet, and sure enough, the bumper guards are in between the holes on my bumpers, where there is no hole on mine.

Do I have bumpers not made for bumper guards and somebody just decided to bolt some on? Are there supposed to be special holes for them? Have any of you drilled the necessary holes?

Attachments

• BumnperPic1.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 201
  • Bumper1.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 246
The bumper guards were indeed in the middle of the bumper bolts and attached with just one bolt. If you exchanged yours in he rechrome process it is possible you got ones without the holes and will have to redrill the mounting hole for them.
Bumperettes3.jpg

Bumperettes1.jpg

Bumperettes on my 67 are mounted at bumper brace bolts also. No extra holes in the bumpers. I think they do a little better job of protecting the trim since they stick out a little more.
My reverse lights are relocated. I have a copy of the instalation instuction sheet that came with the bumperettes. I'll hunt it down and post it if you plan to drill those holes.

My car did not come with them, but it has a front bumper with the holes- factory not diy drilled.
I can measure if needed, but it looks like it matches the sales pic.

Attachments

• DSC06446.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 168
Those 2 holes were never part of bumper stamping. If you find chrome inside those holes , it is a aftermarket bumper or replated.

Did the factory drill, (or stamp after the bumper was made), the holes like this?

Attachments

• DSC06484.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC06487.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC06489.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 205
From what I was told, those holes were added as needed, second operation . I suppose some were added prior to plating.

Bumperettes on my 67 are mounted at bumper brace bolts also. No extra holes in the bumpers. I think they do a little better job of protecting the trim since they stick out a little more.
My reverse lights are relocated. I have a copy of the instalation instuction sheet that came with the bumperettes. I'll hunt it down and post it if you plan to drill those holes.

That would be great, thanks! I spent $200 getting these rechromed, it would be a shame for them to go to waste. Although I'm sure somebody would want some nice bumper guards if I chose not to use them.

My car did not come with them, but it has a front bumper with the holes- factory not diy drilled.
I can measure if needed, but it looks like it matches the sales pic.

Nice pic of where the holes are. Thanks! How far is the hole from the inside bumper bolt hole?

Nice pic of where the holes are. Thanks! How far is the hole from the inside bumper bolt hole?
If you still need measurements, please send me a pm tomorrow of what you need.

I think we can all agree the cars look better without the bumperettes. The value of nice front and rear trim or the cost to replace that trim speaks to the value of bumperettes.
I read in another thread that all reproduction bumpers have those holes predrilled.
I know I had a scan of the instruction sheet that was included with 2 bumperettes in a box for dealer install. I couldn't find the file though.

Snapped this pic while at a cruise-in last night. Rear bumperettes on brace bolts and reverse lamp fixtures relocated.

Attachments

• my bumper guards.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 139
-
Back