Plan of Attack

-

Eazyrider805

Reaction score
So I finally got my project car 1972 dodge dart 318 and 904 trans. Motor has some goodies such as performer intake, and hedman headers. The car has some minor damage driver side fender is toast as well as passenger fender. Grille is shot and came off in 7 pieces. Has some rust in the trunk and a couple bubbles on the body but otherwise car is straight. PO cut hole in the hood for a scoop and it sat outside in the weather. I pulled the valve covers off and there was a little bit of rust actually a lot less than I anticipated. My concern is that there may be more inside than what was present on the valve springs. Do you guys suggest taking the intake off for inspection or just try to get her started? I went and got some parts today feel like I got a steal considering the prices on ebay. Got 72 passenger/driver fenders, fender extensions, headlight buckets, grille, and hood for $300 bucks. Hood has a couple dents but nothing to cry about. Fenders are in great shape and the grille is driver quality one broken tab and a couple cracks. Got hood, fenders, and grille removed ready for some paint and then install new to me parts. Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure.
View attachment DSC03807.jpg

View attachment IMG_0012.JPG

View attachment IMG_0014.JPG

View attachment IMG_0015.JPG

Yes ! I say a very good start and a great move to get the Plan of Attack moving forward on a great car :glasses7: Congratulations :color:

Thanks guys any advice for the motor? Like I said it had been sitting out in the weather with a hole cut in the hood. Motor was poorly covered with no carb on the intake. Should I pull the intake off and do an assessment of the cam and rods? I'm a little leery to tear into a motor that I haven't had a chance to try and start.

Does it turn over by hand ??

Rust in the cylinders is the biggest worry

I tried to do it by hand and no luck. So I pulled the plugs and put some marvel in them. Going to try again tomorrow and see if I have any luck. I also got the fenders put on and the hood. Will take some more pictures tomorrow.

Alright spent last night getting fenders and hood on. Got some questions for you guys. So got the hood on and the hood doesn't close in the back. Do the springs need to be reset? Also got some front bumper damage looks like when the car got hit it pushed the bumper forward. Any suggestions on how to get the bumper back in place? Will changing or straitening the bumper bracket fix this? Fenders look good compared to the driver side fender. The spots on the driver fender is sap just got to clean them.
View attachment IMG_0017.jpg

View attachment IMG_0018.jpg

View attachment IMG_0019.jpg

View attachment IMG_0021.jpg

View attachment IMG_0022.jpg

View attachment IMG_0023.jpg

To get hood to fit, you need to adjust it. To fix the problem you have that I see, open hood, loosen the four bolts, then tighten just snug, not tight. very carefully close hood, push down on rear of hood on either side. If you did not tighten bolts too far, the hood will push down. after you get hood down to were you need it, open hood just far enough to tighten the bolts tight.

Thanks guys. Yeah flip flops + rusty parts = tetanus. I know better just threw them on for a picture. Thanks for the advice for the hood issue Mopar Tim. Just added some more marvel and will try and turn the motor over tomorrow.

Alright! Motor turns over by hand. two doses of marvel daily is just what the doctor called for. Next is getting this girl some new valve covers and a carb. On a budget so next week when I get paid I will get a carb. Thinking edelbrock 1405. What do you guys think is a good price for a rebuild one? Or should I buy used and rebuild myself? I've rebuild motorcycle carbs but not an automobile carb. Pretty easy to do? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Here is the motor she is filthy from sitting outside with a hole cut in the hood!:disgust:View attachment IMG_0025.jpg

Alright bit the bullet and bought the essential to getting this motor running. Going to use a Holley 4160 that I got for nothing and rebuild it. Got the rebuild kit on the way. Also got air cleaner, valve covers, gaskets, and some other things. Gonna try my best to clean this motor up with some elbow grease today and will post some pictures of my progress.

Ok been a couple weeks since I have posted anything. Got some more parts got the headlight bezels from the same guy for $40. Ebay wanted 65 a pop! So I started to clean the motor up and got the valve covers on and spark plug wires. Drivers side was a little tight so I put some 1200* insulation around the number 5 and 7 plug wires. Also working on getting the carb rebuild got it torn down just need to get the old gasket material off and start putting it back together. here are some pictures.

View attachment IMG_0030.jpg

View attachment IMG_0031.jpg

View attachment IMG_0032.jpg

Ok some not so good news drained the oil out and what do we get? Gray cottage cheese. So yeah. Not sure what to do. Any suggestions really don't want to pull the motor if I do will just end up swapping a 360 into its place. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

View attachment IMG_0036.jpg

I dont even know what that is in the "oil" lol. Personally I would pull it out if you wanted to use the same motor. Water and other crap probably got in there.

Did any decent oil come out at all? I guess if you would throw in a 360 you could put some new oil in and try to start the 318 lol.

Yes some good oil did come out but the gray stuff was coming out in clumps. Should I just try and run it with some fresh oil? I'm going to let it drain over night and hope most of the gunk comes out.

Yes some good oil did come out but the gray stuff was coming out in clumps. Should I just try and run it with some fresh oil? I'm going to let it drain over night and hope most of the gunk comes out.

If you wanna risk it. Clumps and big gobs all over the place will not help your situation. If you see clumps come out, think of how many clumps are still inside. Clumps that will hang on for dear life and mix with any new oil. If i was you, I'd pull it and clean out all the oil passages and everything. But like you said, if you pull it you're just gunna put a 360 in. So its up to you.

You make a good point. Might be worth it to pull it and at least see if I can get it cleaned up. My fear is I will tear it apart and it will need a rebuild. If that is the case I will just put a 360 in it. Thanks for the encouragement and thoughts.

Just get some cheap oil and filter start and run it up to operating temp then drain it and see what it looks like then. Put in the good oil/filter and your good to go. Or am I missing something? Your just trying to get it running for in the meantime right?

-
Back