Planning a magnum swap

-

dusterbd13

Reaction score
So the current plan calls for a full magnum 5.2 drive train from a durango. 97ish.

I'm planning trans, engine. Injection, etc.

With the ecm in the engine bay, how much interior wiring will I need to grab from the donor? Other than the obd2 port.

The next question : who regrinds these cams for cheap? Reasons for a severe budget is that this will be powering a grm challenge car.

What about head porting? I found information on porting the kegger so far, but not finding much on the heads.

Lastly: are the Pistons forged or cast? Plan calls for a healthy snort of nitrous for the drag part.

I've looked through that site a few times. No info on the factory harness or trans control. It's more focused on stuffing one in an a body with a carb.

So the current plan calls for a full magnum 5.2 drive train from a durango. 97ish.

I'm planning trans, engine. Injection, etc.

With the ecm in the engine bay, how much interior wiring will I need to grab from the donor? Other than the obd2 port.

The next question : who regrinds these cams for cheap? Reasons for a severe budget is that this will be powering a grm challenge car.

What about head porting? I found information on porting the kegger so far, but not finding much on the heads.

Lastly: are the Pistons forged or cast? Plan calls for a healthy snort of nitrous for the drag part.
Well, first they didnt produce Durango's until 1998. that said, I would look for Dakota or Ram as the Durango will most likely need different PCM which will cost more. You should be able to get by with what ever is connected to all three PCM plugs.
We have regrinds for $159 but you will want to call first as most cams wont work with stock valve train and that will raise cost again. We have the ONLY cam in production that will work with stock factory valve train.

You can port heads but most will be cracked. We have EQ's higher performance heads for $299 each that will outflow stock ported ones OOTB. For price of valve job you can get new heads.

The stock magnum pistons are cast hypereutectic with moly rings. Leave the short block alone and save $$ for something else that it will need worse like heads. I would be cautious with with your "health shot" of NOS else it ends up being very unhealthy. The pcm is not capable of compensating for NOS. Feel free to PM for shop phone # or lok us up on web at magnummopar. Evan

The swap this is going in is for the grm challenge. Build a autocross /show and shine/dragstrip car for a documented $2017.

I'm already at $300 for a roller body. No drive train. With it being in the mopar family, and me being a mopar guy, I want to do it with a small block mopar.

This is an extremely budget limited setup here. Hence the desire to reuse as much of the donor as possible.

And it only has to survive a few passes on the nitrous. I'm thinking without any nitrous, a 318 automatic 2500lb car will be limited to around mid 13s. I'd like to Crack into the 12s on slicks.

Nitrous will be a full wet system.

If I'm understanding the wiring comment correctly, everything but the cel and obd2 port will be in the engine bay. Correct?

Also, for my education, why would a ram or Dakota pcm be better than a durango or jeep?

Thanks guys. I know doing it cheap and slightly wrong isn't normally how i, or this forum, do things. But it's how I have to for this.

And I will see what budget we have after getting it running and contact you about the cam.

lso, for my education, why would a ram or Dakota pcm be better than a durango or jeep?
About 80% of Durangos have SKIM or security which will keep it from running, Grand's have it about 90% of the time. This would require a flash or another pcm from Ram or Dak

If I'm understanding the wiring comment correctly, everything but the cel and obd2 port will be in the engine bay. Correct?
Well, only 96-97 Ram will have CEL, mopar calls it MIL, short for malfunction indicator lamp. All other OBD II magnums have MIL command sent via CCD or PCI buss. there are a few PCM's that will drive a MIL but they dont have the wire in harness. The 96-97 Ram has no CCD and therefore also have gauge wires and senders for oil press and coolant temp. All other OBD II's use Buss so they dont have it or the ability to run non CCD gauges. Just and FYI. Our site has lots of info on things like this and should probably be read before choosing a donor. Our wrangler swap site has tons of FAQ's about the various systems and what year donor has what. backwoodsoffroad. will get you there

-
Back