Planning for 17x10 on 67 Dart

-

CultClassik

Reaction score
Hey guys...looking to do some wide ones in the back. I've got a B body 8-3/4 housing, new spring perches and am planning on using the Dr Diff offset spring hangers.

I'm planning to narrow the housing and use Dr. Diff custom length axles. But..I need to pick out some wheels and work around those.

I've done plenty of car work but never built a rear end. Where do I start? Will the body accommodate that size wheel? I'm guessing something like a 275-45 will be good for that wheel (trying to keep it in line with what will likely be 17x7 215-55-17 up front). Assuming a 17x10 will fit without tubs or inboard springs, I need to figure out how to build the rear end around whatever size and bs the rear wheels end up being.

You wont fit a 10" wide on a Dart with moving springs in 3" and a mini tub.

Assuming you mean WITHOUT moving springs and mini tub. Both are possible but I'd rather not.

Any ideas on options? Especially if you've dealt with the smaller wheel well 67 before.

Is 9" doable? I'm going to try to measure but looking for help, I know there's got to be plenty of people out there that have put wide wheels out back.

i dealt with the stock wheel well for 3 days and just had to hack into them for the 10 inch wide tires

there is a thread with 13 pages somewhere on here about tire and wheel combos i know i seen alot of 17" mustang rims used

Thanks for your input guys.

Couple of things, seems like I've read that using offset hangers brings them about even to the inner wheel wells, so that would give max clearance there, correct? I'm guessing you still may rub up in the top with the taller 17" wheels though..so a little work may be needed there.

I'm wanting to keep the fender lip trim. I did see where somebody tweaked up the fenderwell lip and trimmed up the trim piece so as to keep the trim but still gain that little bit of clearance.

I'm betting with a little bit of work, I could fit a 17x9. It's not like it's really going to need a ton of tire, but I want that look for this car so I gotta do what I can :)

Ok, back again with this. I've decided to try to simplify my life and just run a 255-40-17 on a 17x8 in the back.

So, about the rear axle. I have a B body housing, as I was going to use offset spring hangers as well as cut it down according to whatever wheels I wound up with. No matter what, I'll have to replace the perches, no big deal. But now I'm trying to figure out if I can get away without cutting the axle housing, saving some money and just use factory axles.

Anybody happen to know if this would work:
67 Dart, stock wheel tubs. We're going to paint soon so I'll trim the fender skirts as much as I can while keeping the stainless trim.

B body 8-3/4 housing, I'll use Dr Diff offset hangers if needed. If I don't need them, I will stick with originals for cost savings.

17x8 wheels, 255-40-17 tires, 4.74 backspace.

Since I don't have any axles I can't check to see if this works even if I went ahead and bought the wheels. Has anybody done a similar set up before? I'm trying to figure out how to figure this out, since now it has the 7-1/4 with SBP wheels, I have no axles for the 8-3/4, etc.

-
Back