Plastic polish?

-

HemiPar

Reaction score
Getting ready to clean up the gauges on my Swinger. I took the cluster apart and dusted it all off. But I guess with the years of rubbing the dust into the plastic it is scratched up. not deep just from using what the PO's had in the shop for rags. Is there something out there to get the scuffs out of it. I would like to be able to see the gauges once I get it back together. Thanks.

I used this stuff, not too harsh and pretty cheap.

Tom

mixgrill041zc5.jpg

The best thing I've used on plastic is ROLITE™ METAL Polish / Fiberglass Cleaner.

2lbMPFC.JPG

Plexi canopy.jpg

This stuff is great! It has never let me down. I bought a 2lb container about 3 years ago for roughly $35.

Autogeek.net (http://www.autogeek.net/rolite-metal-polish.html) has it for $9.99 for a 3oz tube.

autogeek_2060_33606518.gif

Hey...guess what? I just learned how to add pics to my posts! Wooooohooooo! :cheers:

Oh...and by the way, I've used Meguiar's PlastX and its okay but nowhere as good as Rolite.

2lbMPFC.JPG

Plexi canopy.jpg

autogeek_2060_33606518.gif

I've used Autosol,(metal polish) with excellent results. You just need to be careful and not go overboard. It's easier to do it over, then to have to replace it.

plenty of clear head lite restorer products at your local auto parts store now a days

I used a 3 step line of products from Novus, find your nearest plexiglas business and go in and see what they have. When I did the gauges on my cuda, I sanded them down with some 800 and then 1000, then 1200 and then started polishing with a small air grinder with a 2" foam pad. They turned out sweet.

3553li.jpg

Thanks everyone. It seams like there are lot of choices out there. Now just need to get one.

Do any of these polishes work for tailight lenses? Or does the colored plastic make a difference?8)

Good question DRENO. I guess I will just try some later.
Oh, thanks to all. I got the Plastx and it worked great.

Do any of these polishes work for tailight lenses? Or does the colored plastic make a difference?8)

Most of the headlight restorer products found at the local parts stores will work on taillights, too. The shape of the taillights can make 'em tricky sometimes, but the 3M kit I got to use on the wife's XG worked great front and rear. Can also hand sand and polish if the shape of the taillight procludes the use of the kit meant to be used with the drill.
After first polishing the wifes car with the kit I use just the bottle and a hand towel to maintain it now when I bathe it.

This may sound crazy but I've used toothpaste and a foam pad on a drill. :)

years ago,, i heard tooth paste was great for removing scratches on tube type T,V screens,,

also,,sorta of topc,,,a product called soft scrub for bathrooms works better on your rockers to clean off road tar then bug and tar remover,,

-
Back