Plating question

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
Regarding plating that is worn or rusted off linkages and rods on carburetors: is there a simple process to re-plate with a corrosion-resistant coating (other than paint) once the links, etc have been cleaned and polished?
I took the badly corroded and rusty link rods from my TQ and wire-wheeled them clean, then polished them bright as chrome, but it will never last in an under-hood environment. Looking for a protective coating that will keep them corrosion-free (and hopefully, shiny)
I could probably use a cold-bluing solution but think that might look kinda weird. Paint will wear off. Suggestions?

you could galvanize the parts (anode) with electricity and a zinc cathode then chromate them. Turns them a mustard yellow though, like a Holley. Eastwood sells a dichromate kit too,

we have a plater in town that will do a 2 gallon bucket full of whatever for $3-40. silver black zinc etc. I think the carb rods a yellow gold dichromate. it is a charge for each so I just leave buckets for each type of plating needed.

Send them to Leanna and let her powder coat them.

Copper will weather worse than bare steel.

Dichromate, chrome, nickel are really the only corrosion resistant choices.

you could galvanize the parts (anode) with electricity and a zinc cathode then chromate them. Turns them a mustard yellow though, like a Holley. Eastwood sells a dichromate kit too,

Forget Eastwood -- check out CaswellPlating.com's plating kits if you're going to go that route and do it yourself. (EW just sells other manufacturer's stuff at marked up prices under their own label. You can always find it cheaper ...)

Thanks for the vote Rob. :-D

Forget Eastwood -- check out CaswellPlating.com's plating kits if you're going to go that route and do it yourself. (EW just sells other manufacturer's stuff at marked up prices under their own label. You can always find it cheaper ...)

Thanks for the vote Rob. :-D
I would consider powder coating, Leanna...but I think this would be the wrong application (do you agree?) Seems like plating would be the right choice for small links and levers. I will check out the plating kits.....Thanks!

I've done some linkage before and it turns out nice but I'm inclined to plate them myself, especially if you're going for a factory look.

-
Back