please forgive ignorant performance engine questions

-

jasonmrenda

Reaction score
now that i have the 67 dart /6, i am curious about engine swaps/performance etc. i dot plan on anything right away, but would like to begin research and parts hunting so that during the winter i can try to either hop up the /6 or do a swap. i am aware that with the swap i will need additional elements like engine mounts, disk kit (will be doing that anyway), prob replacing rear leafs and shackles, adding air shocks this week, and i think poss a drive shaft if needed.

the current /6 runs fine and i hit almost 90 on the highway. i am not opposed at all to investing some cash into to make it faster. so here is my question:

if you had say 1000 give or take a bit, what would you do to increase the hp/tq of of 67 dart gt? i dont want to go racing or drag it, i just would like some more power and be a bit quicker overall. dont really care about gas mileage, etc. this is purely a fun car and i'd just like to make it a bit more fun!

there are 318, 360, 340, 440 etc etc all day long on craigslist. the engine stuff will be the last thing i do after upgrading all the other safety items (but i will do those items with some forthought so i dont double my work and cost). i can find a 440 eng/trans for 500. i am reading that getting heads for the /6 will cost that much. plus headers, intake, etc. again not looking to set a speed record, just some more balls for the highway etc.

thank you everyone. i am having fun just considering this stuff.

i also have a 68 buick 350 and th400 in the garage but i guess that would be sacrilege!!

iv never done a dart but have done many dusters to put a440 in motor and trans takes two days.thats out clean paint and back in with 440 useing elephant ears drop trans in its mount set motor down on frame use 1 1/2 angle iron (weld or bolt to frame) drill 5/16 or 3/8 hole threw angle iron and elephant ear and she there to stay.im not shour what fender well headers cost now. i always find used for any were from 100 to200. the chepest one iv done was around 800 bucks and that was buying the 69 chry it came out of.with used headers and a frend to bend the pipes for exhaust and two used flow masters. it all depens on how you want to do it and how much money you can spend. mopar to ya.......

For $1000? I'd replace the rear with an 8 3/4 with at least 3.91 gears, and put a cheap shift kit in the trans. You dont have the money to do much else, and both will help drivability and acceleration.

There are some other considerations to look at. What rearend is in the car? If it's a 7.25 you don't want to go any bigger than a 318 for an engine unless you plan on swapping the rear out. So lets say you are going to stay with the 7.25. Forget the air shocks, they are a waste of money. Get an new set of HD rear springs and a decent set of gas shocks. Lets head for the engine bay next. You can get a 318/904 combo pretty cheap. Freshen the engine up with rings, bearings and some valve seals. You will probably need to upgrade your exhaust as well. The tranny may need to be gone through as well. At the very least it will need a new filter, bands adjusted and new fluid. Possibly a new starter as well. There is also the motor mount kit you will need to go from a /6 to a 318. This is just to get you thinking of what might be needed. There is probably more than what I listed.

Jack

-
Back