PLEASE HELP! '64 emblems on '65 GT!

-

irishfatso56

Reaction score
My brother recently bought this '65 GT convertible that we are going to restore and show along side my '65 GT that i had a recent 273 conversion thread on. Both cars are ss1 (french ivory). The convertible is a california car (LA plant). We assumed when we bought the car the V8 emblems were added at some point off a '63 or '64, but the car retains it's original sheetmetal despite a respray many years ago. So i began to search the internet and shockingly came up with a bunch of '65 darts (9 so far) with the v8 emblem. A couple of the cars had articles or names attached to the pictures linking them to California, Arizona, Washington, and Hawaii. Does anyone have any clue what the story is here? We are going to be getting the car repainted and want to be 100% certain these emblems belong, but we are puzzled by the whole thing. Here are all the pics i've found (my brother's car is first). Dying for some info....PLEASE HELP!

Attachments

• emb3.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 180
  • EMB1.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 194
  • emb2.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 185
  • emb4.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 180
  • emb5.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 160
  • emb6.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 135
  • emb7.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 175
  • emb8.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 141
  • emb9.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 164
Those only came on V8 270 Darts in 64-65 they did not come on the GT, I'm looking for one if you ditch them.

I appreciate the info and I certainly see a pattern of most being on 270's, but there are two '65 GT's (my brother's car being 1) in the pictures above as well as a 170. Also, I have seen several '64 GT's with this emblem on my google and yahoo image searches. I find it very improbable that these emblems were added to all these cars after the fact. They are all in the exact same location. I also find it interesting that both of the '65 GT's are convertibles (and thus don't have the sail panel GT emblem). Maybe someone on the LA assembly line decided the car looked to bare with no GT emblem?

Who knows why some have it and some don't, I did a bunch of research on this as I could not come across one of these for quite some time and my car is short one. From what I found mopar never intended for these to be on anything but the 270's, HOWEVER it is not impossible that things were done wrong during assembly (The backwards L on some of the 64 Ford Falcons comes to mind) and it is also not impossible that they were added. The front fenders on the GT's and 270's required different trim holes so it would be odd that they could "unintentionally" place the V8 there. What does the VIN and Fender Tag read? Is it a GT or was it converted? (Although you would think if they filled in all those spear trim holes they would have filled the V8 while they were at it) Maybe the common denominator for these GT's with the emblem is the plant in which they came from. I know far from everything about these emblems, so if you come across any information please let me know as you have my attention!
I appreciate the info and I certainly see a pattern of most being on 270's, but there are two '65 GT's (my brother's car being 1) in the pictures above as well as a 170. Also, I have seen several '64 GT's with this emblem on my google and yahoo image searches. I find it very improbable that these emblems were added to all these cars after the fact. They are all in the exact same location. I also find it interesting that both of the '65 GT's are convertibles (and thus don't have the sail panel GT emblem). Maybe someone on the LA assembly line decided the car looked to bare with no GT emblem?

What I know of those emblems were just mounted on standard Dart series and the 270 series.

-
Back