please help me find a solenoid for my welder!

-

thanson_mopar

Reaction score
I have an old chemetron sureweld 255 AC/DC high frequency start TIG/stick welder. It is a rebadged Miller, moving core welder. The gas solenoid went bad, and I can not for the life of me track down another one. Its the old style, magnetic windings full the spring loaded plunger back. If anyone has a clue as to where I can find one it would be alot of help. thanks

Photo0110.jpg

I would approach this NOT as an "exact replacement" but "more generic." First you need to find the control voltage for the solenoid, and it may say so on the solenoid. You need voltage AND DC/ AC. If it's not marked, Get the welder together enough to fire it up and simply MEASURE it.

Be careful, for all I know on older welders, the solenoid my be line voltage but I doubt it.

ANY decent welding REPAIR depot should be able to supply a solenoid that will work. You may have to figure a "remount" and do a little plumbing.

I would approach this NOT as an "exact replacement" but "more generic." First you need to find the control voltage for the solenoid, and it may say so on the solenoid. You need voltage AND DC/ AC. If it's not marked, Get the welder together enough to fire it up and simply MEASURE it.

Be careful, for all I know on older welders, the solenoid my be line voltage but I doubt it.

ANY decent welding REPAIR depot should be able to supply a solenoid that will work. You may have to figure a "remount" and do a little plumbing.

thanks, the solenoid is controled by 110V. I guess I'm maybe not understanding you on I need to find DC/AC? you mean test the supplied voltage to the solenoid when the machine is on DC then when its on AC? I guess I would think that the solenoid would receive the same supplied power regardless being as it is on its own circuit? I am DEF not an expert so any and all info helps. thanks

back of solenoid reads as followed:
Model 291 A-F
Device number 70291-069
Voltage 115 V 50/60 CY
orfice 1/8
pipe size 1/4
press. 100
watts 10

controls company of america Milwaukee Wisconsin

I already checked into the company...they no longer make these.

No I meant find out what feeds the solenoid. I would guess most are 24V DC control voltage used inside the machine.

If it's marked 120V it's probably an AC coil

They can be either, so you need to find that out. Isn't it marked?

No I meant find out what feeds the solenoid. I would guess most are 24V DC control voltage used inside the machine.

If it's marked 120V it's probably an AC coil

They can be either, so you need to find that out. Isn't it marked?

Its just marked 115V on the back of the solenoid, so I guess I need to find out for sure

So I just need to throw my multimeter to DC and check it then over to AC and check power source for solenoid correct?

Yup. But I cannot imagine that a coil marked 115V would be DC

I did a check, and one wire showes 127.7 AC....and that is close to what I expected however the other wire shows 24 AC? shouldn't there be nothing in that wire.....I assumed it was a ground....?

Sounds like you are measuring them to ground? You need to measure between the two wires, and make darn sure that "those two wires" are actually the correct ones to the solenoid.

It HAS to be a 115-125V AC coil from the sounds of it.

Something I forgot to mention---is the solenoid burned out, or is the gas valve bad? What does it say (brand model) right on the solenoid/ valve? You MIGHT be able to get a new solenoid from whoever made the valve.

Also, do NOT power up that solenoid unless it is installed ON the valve. AC coils will burn up if the core device is not in them.

Sounds like you are measuring them to ground? You need to measure between the two wires, and make darn sure that "those two wires" are actually the correct ones to the solenoid.

It HAS to be a 115-125V AC coil from the sounds of it.

yes, I was measuring them to ground, ill try between the two wires and see what I come up with. They are the two wires I disconnected from the solenoid when I removed the solenoid so i am sure.

Something I forgot to mention---is the solenoid burned out, or is the gas valve bad? What does it say (brand model) right on the solenoid/ valve? You MIGHT be able to get a new solenoid from whoever made the valve.

Also, do NOT power up that solenoid unless it is installed ON the valve. AC coils will burn up if the core device is not in them.

the solenoid inoperative, I tried to go to the manufacturer of the solenoid but they are no longer in business. When I tested the solenoid It was tested on the valve.

-
Back