Please help me identify my column

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
I recently bought a floor-shift steering column off Ebay. The ad said that it came from a 1971 Demon. It's in pretty good condition - all there and has the Tuff wheel adapter. That's all fine and good.

However, when I look at the lower part of the column jacket on the column that's in the car right now, the 'mesh' part is diagonal, like a chain-link fence. The one I purchased has vertical slots. I'm thinking I may have the incorrect column for my '71 Dart.

Can someone enlighten me to the differences and if I made a mistake?

Thanks,

Greg

Can you post a picture? May just have been built by a different vender than yours back in the day.

How does it measure up, length wise?
C

OK here are some pics. First pic is th bottom of the column jacket, as currently installed in the car. Black one is the column in question.

IMG_3128.jpg

IMG_3126.jpg

That column appears to be a 73-76 A-Body column for power steering. I have had a few like that and you are correct the mesh pattern is different than the earlier columns. Although it won't be correct for your 71, that column will work just fine in your car. Just use the firewall plate, all of the wiring and brackets from you existing column. You will also need a coupler for power steering if you don't already have one. You may also want to use your existing ignition lock since I am sure you don't want to have to change your door locks or carry an extra key.

Here is another thought. If you want the correct looking column, just take the collars from the floorshift column and transfer them to your 71 column.

Joe

That column appears to be a 73-76 A-Body column for power steering. I have had a few like that and you are correct the mesh pattern is different than the earlier columns. Although it won't be correct for your 71, that column will work just fine in your car. Just use the firewall plate, all of the wiring and brackets from you existing column. You will also need a coupler for power steering if you don't already have one. You may also want to use your existing ignition lock since I am sure you don't want to have to change your door locks or carry an extra key.

Here is another thought. If you want the correct looking column, just take the collars from the floorshift column and transfer them to your 71 column.

Joe

Arrrrggh, that's what I as afraid of. I got burned on this thing, I should have done a better job comparing before I bid. I figure it will all swap OK but I'm one of those guys that's anal about using the 'correct' parts.

Anyone interested in a '73-up floor shift, power steering column? 8)

Just swap the floorshift collars onto your 71 column. The collars are correct for 71. Then you can retain the look of the 71 column but still have a floorshift column.

Joe

Just swap the floorshift collars onto your 71 column. The collars are correct for 71. Then you can retain the look of the 71 column but still have a floorshift column.

Joe

I'm gonna ask a dumb question here - what about all the column shift hardware down at the bottom of the column jacket? Isn't there a gap left when you remove the linkage?

I am not sure what you mean. Post a pict of the linkage and bottom of the 71 column and I can get a better idea of what you mean and will be able to give you a better answer.

Joe

I am not sure what you mean. Post a pict of the linkage and bottom of the 71 column and I can get a better idea of what you mean and will be able to give you a better answer.

Joe

I guess I need to learn to look before I open my mouth! I went out to the car - the linkage is below the jacket. I have more experience with earlier columns where there's a notch at the base of the jacket where the linkage is. I didn't realize that the later A body column jackets were the same regardless of whether they are floor or column shift.

I'm a dumbass, I should have just bought one of those floor shift collars that someone was selling here a little while ago and been done with it!

Don't worry about it, we all have to learn new things everyday!

It is not that hard to change the collars and if you are carful you can do it with the column in the car but it is a whole lot easier to do it with the column out. The hardest part is seperating the 2 shafts. There are 2 nylon pins holding the shafts together. These pins are designed to shear and let the column collapse in an accident. Youy have to break the pins and pull the shafts apart. Then you will be able to remove the collars and shifter and install the new collars. The extra wire on your plug for the column shift indicator can just be cut off and you can use the plug with no problems. While you are at it replace the upper and lower bearings. Line up the shafts and replace the pins with nylon screws.

Joe

Don't worry about it, we all have to learn new things everyday!

It is not that hard to change the collars and if you are carful you can do it with the column in the car but it is a whole lot easier to do it with the column out. The hardest part is seperating the 2 shafts. There are 2 nylon pins holding the shafts together. These pins are designed to shear and let the column collapse in an accident. Youy have to break the pins and pull the shafts apart. Then you will be able to remove the collars and shifter and install the new collars. The extra wire on your plug for the column shift indicator can just be cut off and you can use the plug with no problems. While you are at it replace the upper and lower bearings. Line up the shafts and replace the pins with nylon screws.

Joe

Just so happens that I have a new turn signal switch on the way to me as I type, so the collar has to come off for that. I guess I can do the swap then, but then I need to get a floor shifter... might be kind of cool to drive around with a stock 318 2bbl/904 with a Hurst Quarter Stick!

Thanks for all the info.

For the shifter, look for a B&M Quicksilver on Ebay. They are nice cable operated shifters that look less radical than the Quarter Stick and can also be adapted to work in a stock A-Body console if you got to buckets and console in the future.

Joe

-
Back