Please help me identify this broken part(?) from my 904!

-

JakenBake805

Reaction score
Hi,
I been working on my 69' dart a little more. Last time time I spent some time on it I got the engine and transmission in but the car didn't have reverse. The transmission is a $40 904 off of facebook market place and I stupidly didn't check any of the adjustments before installing it (just took the pan off saw it looked pretty clean and threw it in the car). I finally got around to pulling the trans pan yesterday and found several things I need to correct:
  • The rear band was not installed properly (I think) and was extremely loose. It seems like the band was not properly seated into the trans so it was impossible to get the necessary tension for reverse to work. This explains why reverse worked on jack stands but not with car on the ground. I think this is an easy fix.
  • The accumulator spring was not there and there was also no blocker rod. I will be adding a blocker rod.
  • A small broken round piece of metal fell from the trans when I was removing the valve body and I'm not sure where its from. I have looked at a bunch of videos and parts diagrams to try to determine what the piece is. I first though it was part of the front servo (see pic) but upon disassembly that part is still fully intact and present on my trans.
Any ideas where my mystery chuck of metal came from? I would love to replace everything I need to while Im in here the 1st (2nd...) time.

Thank you very much! This site is extremely helpful for a newbie like me.
Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 5.02.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 5.02.33 PM.png

Hi,
I been working on my 69' dart a little more. Last time time I spent some time on it I got the engine and transmission in but the car didn't have reverse. The transmission is a $40 904 off of facebook market place and I stupidly didn't check any of the adjustments before installing it (just took the pan off saw it looked pretty clean and threw it in the car). I finally got around to pulling the trans pan yesterday and found several things I need to correct:
  • The rear band was not installed properly (I think) and was extremely loose. It seems like the band was not properly seated into the trans so it was impossible to get the necessary tension for reverse to work. This explains why reverse worked on jack stands but not with car on the ground. I think this is an easy fix.
  • The accumulator spring was not there and there was also no blocker rod. I will be adding a blocker rod.
  • A small broken round piece of metal fell from the trans when I was removing the valve body and I'm not sure where its from. I have looked at a bunch of videos and parts diagrams to try to determine what the piece is. I first though it was part of the front servo (see pic) but upon disassembly that part is still fully intact and present on my trans.
Any ideas where my mystery chuck of metal came from? I would love to replace everything I need to while Im in here the 1st (2nd...) time.

Thank you very much! This site is extremely helpful for a newbie like me.
View attachment 1715955929 View attachment 1715955930
Looks like a broken magnet .....

Yeah does look like a magnet piece being black inside...is it magnetic?

100% sure it's metal and not old hardened rubber?

Looks like a broken magnet .....
Yeah does look like a magnet piece being black inside...is it magnetic?

100% sure it's metal and not old hardened rubber?

Yeah, that thought crossed my mind. Its not very magnetic anymore (doesn't stick to trans pan) however it does react with a strong neodymium magnet so I do know that it is metal and not rubber.

$10,000 question is..........where's the other half!

Much End play? Are you seriously going to run that trans as is? I would definitely be taking that one apart; just for fun..

The early 904 used a Low/Reverse lever similar to a 727. This looks like the part of that where the pivot pin goes through.

That is the top end loop from the reverse band anchor strap, that's why the rear band was not working correctly.
Strap breaks off and rear servo can't apply the band fully.
Pull it out there is no incar fix for it!!!
Lon

That is the top end loop from the reverse band anchor strap, that's why the rear band was not working correctly.
Lon

Exactly...

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 10.57.03 PM.png

Lon

Thank you! Ok I will pull the trans and go through everything.

Looks close, doesn't it?

until I went back and actually read the OP where he said it was metal.
Those thrust washers are usually metal, but I have seen plastic or fiber ones as well.
The giveaway was it was metal and the small hole where the strut retainer pin goes through it.

Nailed it....The question is what does TrailBeast win?

Nailed it....The question is what does TrailBeast win?

Nothing... Even if he did have the correct answer.... Which he didn't... But he did offer a valid possibility so he still gets a "Thanks for Playing"

Nothing... Even if he did have the correct answer.... Which he didn't... But he did offer a valid possibility so he still gets a "Thanks for Playing"

Ahhh, Lkopaska nailed it? Free ice cream at the next MCD's grand opening...assuming the machine works.

Last edited:
Any one know where to get a replacement one of these reverse band anchor links? Are they the same for 727 and 904?

I found this one on ebay but not sure if its the right one:
NEW Mopar 2204820 Assy RB Link *FREE SHIPPING* | eBay

Thanks again- you guys saved me alot of time and frustration!

Most any transmission shop has lots of old core transmissions & should either have one or can have one the next day....

Any one know where to get a replacement one of these reverse band anchor links? Are they the same for 727 and 904?

I found this one on ebay but not sure if its the right one:
NEW Mopar 2204820 Assy RB Link *FREE SHIPPING* | eBay

Thanks again- you guys saved me alot of time and frustration!

I'd try a wanted ad on this site. Someone's gotta have one of those laying around. But first, you may want to open it up and verify that's the busted part.

Bob Barker said he can have a shot of Dian as a parting consolation prize.
DIAN YUM.jpg

-
Back