Please meet Austin!!

-

Denvermike

Reaction score
As some of you may remember, I had a single Lung Transplant in Dec., 2016. About 4 weeks ago I finally got a letter from my Donor's family. I no longer have a new Lung. I now have Austin's Left Lung. His Mom wrote the letter. He passed away on Dec.27, 2016. That was just 10 days after his 20th Birthday. I now know he was 6'-5" tall. This is one of the reasons his lung was such a good match with me being 6'-2". He had blonde hair and almost always had a big smile.
I sent Her a quick note saying I would round up some pictures and stuff from 5K Donor Dash last July for them. I put a small team together and with special team shirts, we walked in His Honor.
The best part of all is she said they would like to be able to talk to and some day meet us.(my Wife and family)
While I am healing and in rehab from a Total Hip Replacement, I will round up what I want to send to them.
Getting this letter is up there with my Wedding Day and births of our kids and grand-kids!!
If you are a Organ Donor COOL!! If not, PLEASE think about it and look into it. I'm happy to answer any questions I can.
Thanks,
Mike

Very cool!

Life is GOOD brother! I know!

Maybe AustinMike from Denver would be appropriate?

I am an organ donor and Ive given 204 platelet donations for cancer patients. Never knew how important they were untill my wife had cancer and had to have 2 platelet infusions. Yes, it is very important to give what you can. glad you are doing well.
Bill

Very cool, and I am glad you are doing well with the gift Austin gave you.

I am an organ donor too and so is everyone in my family.

It is the gift of life that can only be given as the final gesture to those that remain when we pass.

To do otherwise is unconscionable to me. I must do all I can to help others...even as I pass into death. They deserve their second chance at life regardless of whether I get one. If I can somehow make that happen, then I must try.

Nice gesture of both of you. We're all in this life together and should treat others as we would like to be treated.

I've been an organ donor for a long time.

That's a great story Mike! It will be a very emotional meeting when you finally get to see Austin's family. I've been a registered organ donor as long as I can remember. My wife and I both are. Both of us have made our wishes known that if something happens to either of us that we will not survive, we only want to be kept alive long enough for anything we have that would benefit another person to be harvested.

-
Back