Please take pity on me re: ThermoQuad fuel transfer port adjustment

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
I am having a mechanic who's pretty carb-savvy rebuild my ThermoQuad, because the last time I tried to rebuild one I left a check ball out and it didn't work. Consequently, I have admitted to myself that I don't know my butt from a hole in the ground about ThermoQuads.

I told the mechanic that I had heard the fuel transfer port/butterfly adjustment was important, but he said that was a new one on him. Can you please point me to a thread or discussion about exactly how to adjust the butterfly so it won't interfere with the fuel transfer ports?

My specific question is this: if you're supposed to adjust the butterfly with the curb idle screw, then how do you later adjust the curb idle speed?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Bill, I think all of us have left a ball out at some point in our lives. :D
Check out AJ's signature on his posts. (AJForms)

it is one and the same adjustment.

When you set idle speed, the butterflies should only uncover the idle slots to a square.

My specific question is this: if you're supposed to adjust the butterfly with the curb idle screw, then how do you later adjust the curb idle speed?
[QUOTE/]

That's used as a guide. It's all dependent on your engine combination. The more radical, the more you may need to expose the idle slots. The more mild, the closer to square. I try not to confine myself to one set standard, because adjustment on them is already tricky.

-
Back