Please translate this flow sheet!?!

-
The intake runner (also known as the intake port) is the "tunnel" that connects the intake manifold to the valve and I see it hasn't been touched. Hate to tell you but you took way too much out of the exhaust bowl and floor. And your cuts don't look very smooth like they should. That's why there not flowing. I know guys use epoxy on the intake runners to patch them up but I don't think it'd work in the exhaust port because of the temp. but maybe one of the other guys can suggest something.

BTW: I'd say if the guy said they were ok and you did a web site for him he took you for a ride down the old screwem alley. Sorry man.

although if you made the web page you can turn it into a **** sight to pay him back. LOL My wife makes web pages and she tells me how easy it would be if somebody stiffs her on the bill. Don't get mad get EVEN. ha ha ha

well maybe thats why you dident really gain anything...you should port the intake.. having an exhaust that flows too much i believe can pull some mixture out from the chamber... I think

No. http://www.mopar1.us/cylhead.html
Head Type

Intake

Exhaust
0.05 0.10 0.20 0.30 0.40 0.50 0.60 0.05 0.10 0.20 0.30 0.40 0.50 0.60

2 915J Fully Ported, 2.02" Valves N/A 62 130 186 239 272 277 N/A 52 101 132 166 173 178

10 915J Stock N/A 66 123 170 206 220 216 N/A 63 110 135 145 148 148

What I see first off on the exh is they are too large, and the material removed was from the worst spots... The floor and far side (meaning the side against the cylinder wall as opposed to the intake valve). The only real areas to remove material should be the guide boss and the port roof. The roof has water very close to it so you cant just remove the "hump". Street car exhaust isnt as critical because the exh system is going to reduce the speed and scavenging afect anyway, and you can use a cam that is designed to help the exh move out better.

on the intake side, the 209 max number sounds better now that I see it was mostly left alone. The valves used (or reused?) I'm going to guess are factory type? The seat cuts look good. I would not enlarge the bowl area but simply blend the sharp angles on the roof and the area between the outside of the bowl and the guide. Dont hog out all that area, just take the corners off and shape it a little more aerodynamicly. On the short side turn, where you have blended a little bit... You can pretty much leave alone. Lastly, have the shop grind a 30° back cut to within about .020" of the seat angle on the intake valve face before they get reassembled.

I'll see what I can find for pics when I get home.

Grind out the exhaust guide boss and bend the roof kink, through the end freeze plug holes you can pinch with you're fingers how thick is as you go.
Polish the exhaust port too.

You need to blend the int bowl/VJ better, you've barley touched it.imo

I tend to agree with moper and wild & crazy.

Leave the exhaust alone would be my suggestion. Clean up the transition from seat to bowl , blend the guide and lightly smooth the kink. There isn't a lot of power in the exhaust anyways and you can trick the engine/head by running 6-10 degrees more exhaust duration.

Spend your time on the intake. On the short turn side, blend it up, parallel with the valve stem then smoothly roll it back into the runner. DO NOT take too much material out as there is water close and "laying back" the short turn isn't beneficial in lower lift applications.

Here's an example of what NOT to do on the short turn... It starts laying back almost immediately from the seat blend. Brought to you by "MWADG Porting". If you see where the light is shining in, you don't really want to lay it back that much. It should go more into the port and smoothly roll back to the port floor.

Picture003-2.jpg

Picture002-2.jpg

You don't need to attack the guide boss like that either, you can leave more material around it.

Spend your time gasket matching,opening and smoothing the pushrod pinch. You can take some material from the wall separating the ports at the pinch area to gain some cross section. Be VERY careful at the area where the pushrod travels. If you see the metal starting to wrap or warp up, you're getting it thin... STOP! If you can get a pincher mic to check that particular wall thickness, use it.

Take the port almost to your stop point with a grinding bit and finish it with a sanding roll.

MWADG = monkey with a die grinder = ME!

This was the first set of heads I ported in about 20 years. I was used to porting BB Chevy heads running .700+ lift cam. The requirement to get the BBC heads flowing is far different than a .400-.500 lift SB Mopar and I applied what I remembered to these when I first started. So, some errors were made.

Wish my camera was better resolution. It's a real pile of crap.

Well, I dont have the records I hoped. The good pics left with my (now Ex) wife's computer.... I have a couple of a set of irons I did some work to. But the dont show the exh at all, and the pic is of them on the engine. Doesnt really help you out unfortunately.

About "smooth"... the exh might helps a little making it pretty. But in truth surface "shiney" does nothign to help flow. I might hurt mixture seperation resistance too. The guy that flows my heads laughed. He says my ports look like ****, but they get the numbers... As he says, "You spend about 2/3 of your time making them work. The last 1/3 is making them look pretty so you can get paid."

I generally don't take that last 1/3 ...lol

Does anyone have one of something that isnt as maxxed out? I think if we could come up witha nice say, "stage 1 1/2" view it might be helpful.

Someone asked so I did this 20min ago, it took me about 10min to do.

I know it's not a sb head but the same applies when it comes to blending or at least the general idea.

so here's a 906 head I had lying in the side yard that I blended a lil with a harbor freight grinder as an example for this thread.

Photo 430.jpg

Photo 431.jpg

Photo 429.jpg

Photo 434.jpg

Photo 442.jpg

Photo 449.jpg

-
Back