Please Use a Service Manual.

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So, I bought another A body a few weeks ago, and started to tear it apart to see what I have. For a car that was all "rebuilt" with new parts it was a diasaster. I went through the front suspension and I found UCA's on backwards, loose ball joint and tie rod bolts. No grease in the wheel bearings, Torsion bars on wrong sides, bent strut rod and tension on the T-bars with the adjustors out etc...
I will say, that I have seen things like this several times. With all the resources we have available to us these days, there is no reason why our cars should be worked on so incorrectly. If you are uncertain or don't know how to do it correctly, ask a question here, Google, search the forum or even better yet use a service manual. We do not want to hurt or kill a person because repairs were done so badly, it causes a safety concern.
Sorry for the rant...

No matter how hard you preach it, some people will just not listen.

I was raised with the old saying:

"You can do it right, fast or cheap. Pick 2"

Seems like most people these days pick fast and cheap.

Last edited:
I will bet you that lots of people on these internet web forums, have probably never heard of a factory mainenance manual, or a Motors, Chiltons, manual.
People that all that they know is from what a computer screen tells them.
Different generation of modern people, that don't know what they are doing, repair wise, on a automobile.
And our infastructure in America is falling apart, with only a few knowing how to repair things anymore.
Were all doomed.

There are people here that will give incorrect info also. I dont answer if I cannot be sure I am correct.

I have seen those same issues on cars, and lots of times its followed up by some dumbass saying he is planning to "upgrade" his mopar suspension with some aftermarket kit so it will "handle better" I just shake my head. Lots of people try to reinvent the wheel, and they arnt even capable of basic repair....

Some people just can't follow directions. If everything was installed backward not having a manual wasn't the problem. If you need a manual to tell you that wheel bearings need grease you're a lost cause already. Some people just shouldn't work on cars, service manual or not.

Last edited:
hemi71x,I like your post, reminds me of the people that will follow their GPS straight into a river...............

I've gotta agree with 72blu that people just don't have any common sence anymore, in this life on top of planet earth.
It's scary.
Some things are so straight forward to do, and yet can't get it done without baby sitting them, or taking them by the hand.
A few days ago there was a local news story on the tv how construction companies can't find workers that even know how to use a hammer, or saw, in the building industry, to replace people that have aged out, or quit, and left the industry, when the economy tanked, a few years back.

I've gotta agree with 72blu that people just don't have any common sence anymore, in this life on top of planet earth.
It's scary.
Some things are so straight forward to do, and yet can't get it done without baby sitting them, or taking them by the hand.
A few days ago there was a local news story on the tv how construction companies can't find workers that even know how to use a hammer, or saw, in the building industry, to replace people that have aged out, or quit, and left the industry, when the economy tanked, a few years back.

No child left behind... So they all stayed back together....

Common sense is not common any more....

Yep, Speaking of non-workers, My buddy back east has a large body shop.70% of his employees are near or over 60.He can not find any younger to work.When he does, they complain the work is too hard and they don't make enough money.They don't understand that if you want more money you need to do a good job and do it right the first time. He has had guys that only work a few days and quit. MAIN REASON IS THEY WON'T PUT THE DANG CELL PHONE DOWN AND WORK !!!

Some people just can't follow directions. If everything was installed backward not having a manual wasn't the problem. If you need a manual to tell you that wheel bearings need grease you're a lost cause already. Some people just shouldn't work on cars, service manual or not.

Preach on brother.

The society is obsessing over those cell phones.... It's pitiful....

It got so bad with the younger workers right before I retired they had to threaten termination if caught on their phone for any reason other than a real emergency. These morons would be checking their phones when they were supposed to be spotting for a guy down in a hole working with live gas.

We don't get "coffee" breaks at work. So essentially any time between orders/phone calls/sourcing/talking to vendors/quoting/a million other jobs, is our "free" time. So I've been known to take 5, check my phone. Read the news. Bullshit like that. But it's on my time. No one else's. And I absolutely can not stand when people get so distrcted fom their phones they can't do basic things. Like walk.

A few years ago I watched a girl walk across a street (in the crosswalk but it wasn't her right of way, thankfully no cars were there) and not even look up. She paid the price when she got to the curb and caught it dead on. Down she went. Slamming her phone into her face as she hit the ground cause she didn't even have time to get her arms up. She landed with her head almost on top of my feet. She looked up, rather sheepisly, phone still clutched in both hands. All I did was shake my head and said:

"Yah learn anything?"

Then proceeded to cross the street.

So what was the original rant ? Cell phones at work?
Oh yeah manuals. Dose someone have a picture of one of those ? Then I know what one looks like..

A few years ago I watched a girl walk across a street (in the crosswalk but it wasn't her right of way, thankfully no cars were there) and not even look up. She paid the price when she got to the curb and caught it dead on. Down she went. Slamming her phone into her face as she hit the ground cause she didn't even have time to get her arms up. She landed with her head almost on top of my feet. She looked up, rather sheepisly, phone still clutched in both hands. All I did was shake my head and said:

"Yah learn anything?"

Then proceeded to cross the street.

Yeah, she learned that members of your generation are a bunch of dicks. Offer to help her up? Ask if she was ok? Nope, made a snide comment, crossed the street. And she's self absorbed? :realcrazy: Think maybe your "advice" would have gone further if you'd offered to help her up and acted like you cared for two seconds?

It's always interesting when these threads devolve into "the whatever generation doesn't know anything, can't pay attention, doesn't have respect, can't whatever". It's interesting because it's the LAST generation that didn't teach them whatever it is they now lack. And usually, it's that same last generation doing the complaining. Or maybe the one before. Still, if you didn't teach your kids then they can't teach theirs.

I didn't intend my post to be a slam on any particular generation specifically. Some people are just as mechanical as rubber ducks- they probably shouldn't work on cars. Me, I can identify about 8 different colors and they all come out of a Crayola 8 pack, so, I probably shouldn't be a graphic designer (Just ask joey about our "purple" banners). But at work when I run into a graphic designer that's now doing something else for a career, I don't write him off, I TEACH him what I can. It's true, some individual people are a lost cause when it comes to mechanical aptitude, because not all of it is teachable. And just opening a manual isn't going to help them, which was the point of my original post. But most people just haven't been taught. There's a shortage of skilled workers now because no one is teaching the skills anymore, we shut down all the auto and wood shop classes to save money. Less people want to do hard work because no one taught them to value hard work, just to value money. That's at least as much the fault of the last generation and the one before as it is the one that lacks the skills and work ethic. Sure, there's always those people that don't know and won't listen, but I know people twice my age that have that problem, it's not new.

Maybe some of you folks should pair up with a "millennial" and exchange some knowledge. Maybe we'd all get to see fewer backward suspension parts and less complaints about how no one knows how to use the new forum software.

So what was the original rant ? Cell phones at work?
Oh yeah manuals. Dose someone have a picture of one of those ? Then I know what one looks like..

Here ya go :D. They come on CD too, but, that may not even help anymore...

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

Last edited:
There's a picture of those rare and elusive manuals, rarely seen by man.

some of the problem is that the younger generation just doesn't want to listn to the older generation. i have young guys at work that i try to help and all i get is i got this. then they proceed to sell the customer the wrong parts. and their are those that have no clue as to what they are working on. i had a customer working on a dodge durango come in and request the head gaskets for a 360/ as i was talking to him he told me he had aluminum heads and over head cams. i then told him it wasn't a 360 but a 4.7.

I'm not gonna stereo-stype the younger gen, but it's anybody that doesn't want to pick up a manual and read it. I read the manual for everything I buy. I don't know if it's force of habit or just wanting to know how something works. And yes a lot of times when you buy something now a days they don't even provide a paper manual. Well I prefer a paper one. I do believe much of the younger Generation don't have time to READ!

Yeah, she learned that members of your generation are a bunch of dicks. Offer to help her up? Ask if she was ok? Nope, made a snide comment, crossed the street. And she's self absorbed? :realcrazy: Think maybe your "advice" would have gone further if you'd offered to help her up and acted like you cared for two seconds?

My generation? She was the same generation as me. I dunno how old you think I am...

And last I checked a 30 year old woman who can't take her face out of her phone long enough to cross a one lane road safely is a lot more self absorbed than me. She put herself and drivers at risk just walking out into the road. Maybe you don't get that. But as the guy who on a daily basis avoids being hit by drivers texting on their phones I do enough babysitting for idiots. I'm not gunna teach another one to walk.

The world doesn't need more people coddling idiots who can't cross the street without looking at their phones. They need people who will be personally responsible for their actions and their situation. She put herself on the ground. Not me. She needs to learn from it. Not me.

Why should I act like I care? If I'm acting then I don't actually care do I? I'm not going to pretend to care so that her poor self esteem isn't hurt. She made a stupid decision. Hopefully she learned from it. That's the best outcome.

Think your "advice" would go farther if it made sense?

-
Back