plug fouling

-

dwgibbs

Reaction score
I have a 318 thats fouling plugs like crazy...this has just started and i am now on my 3rd set of plugs in 2 months.....its a pretty much stock 318.. has headers, mild comp cam,, holley 650 with weiland intake.... the ignition is stock... its the original motor in my 1974 Dart...... any ideas as to why i am going through plugs???? ... thanks for the help..

Fouling how? Is it fuel soaked, oil soaked, carbon fouled, white fouled? Need to know to help diagnose. Oil is usually the problem, but info or pics is needed to determine.

looks carbon fouled..... they are solid black,,, dry, but covered with black carbon

the plugs in her now are autolite platinum.... they lasted a couple weeks,,,, had NGK in before and they lasted a couple days.....

WAY to much fuel.
I'll bet your gas mileage sucks too right?

You could have something as simple tofix as a misadjusted or bad float in the carb.

I currently have Autolite Platinum AP65......and yep, i get lousy gas mileage ...

Attachments

• 0606021353.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 251
  • 0606021354.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 258
I was running to rich of a tune on my motorcycle and the plugs look just like those.

Definitely too much fuel to burn. Is this a new motor, or have you been running it and it just started to foul plugs? If it's a new motor, I would try a hotter plug. Hell, I might try that anyway. If not, you have issues in the carb and are dumping too much fuel.

Get the initial timing set around 14-16 and make sure there is no fuel dripping in the carb at idle, might need to lower float level. That's where I would start... that's FAT!

You'll have to work on the distributor more likely than not to limit your total timing number.

thank ya'll for all the help......the motor has 72k on it....it is a fairly new Holley Carb,,, less than a year old..... i have done some adjusting so thats probaly the culpit.......i'll get some hotter plugs and tune the carb and see what happens.......again, thanks for the help...

IMHO, A hotter plug isn't going to solve that issue.

How old is your Holley,and did it backfire while tuning it?

I know i'm late on the thread and i'm trying to step on anyone, but have you changed your air filter lately. I used to work on tractors and commercial lawn equipment and would see plugs like yours, Black but dry, and always checked the filter. Not for dirt but for water exposure. a lot of guys would wash down there equipment and get the paper elements wet, but even after they were dry and even though they were clean looking they would no longer flow the proper amount of air anymore....just a thought.

the gaps there,,,,u just cant see due to the background....Air Filter is New......it has backfired through the carb before..... not lately...... and only on start up..... i have been told by several guys now that a hotter plug will help with any excess fuel not being burnt in the cylinders......

Listen to cracked; timing first. Then check vacuum compared to power valve, then lean primary jets , if needed. Don;t worry about the secondaries yet.

-
Back