plug wire resistance testing

-

Dart360Custom

Reaction score
well i figured i would share this info with you guys i checked the ohms per foot on 3 popular sets of plug wires and a 12" length of wiring and a couple of spark plugs (i was bored) and figure someone can apply this somehow in there car.

12" test length ohm meter set to 200k

Mallory sidewinder 8mm 5.5 ohm

taylor spiro core wires 8mm 0.04 ohm

Accell Super Stock 8mm 4.9 ohm

14 gauge automotive wire 0.0 ohm

Autolite platinum spark plug 14.0 ohm

autolite copper spark plug 146.0 ohm

FWIW's worht if the ohm meter is set to a 200K range I am betting those reading as not 5.5 ohm but 5.5K ohms.

As a tech we had always been told that about 10K ohms per foot is standard for a suppression carbon core type plug wire. The spiral wound wires are different in that they don't use high resistance to cancel the RFI but the spiral wrapping of the wire to do the job. I don't remember exactly why that works though.

The spiral wound core works on the RF choke theory. Or at least it's supposed to. I've found they only work to a degree mainly because it's only effective only over a certain frequency range. I'm a amateur radio opperator and have radio equip. in my truck as well as a stereo system and tried the spiral wound wires and found them to be much better than a solid core wire but not nearly as effective as a carbon core wire.

-
Back