Plum Crazy or Citron Yella?

-

tom999w

Reaction score
Hi everybody, Newbie here. I found two 1971 Dodge Demons in a junkyard and am contemplating buying one to restore. So my question is: does anyone know if there's a list of Demons broke down by color? I'm looking to buy the one of the two that has the least produced color.
I've also noticed that there is a proliferation of not-so-true information out there, so its hard to determine fact from fiction. For example, I saw a website that said there were 10 Citron Yella 340 Demons made, but a simple web search shows more than 25 different cars in the results.
So does anyone know which is the more rare Demon (color-wise), the Plum Crazy one or the Citron Yella one? Thanks!

With all the cars that have been sprayed plum crazy over the years I would think it’s one of the more common colours now. Considering it was only offered for two years back in the 70’s there are probably more plum crazy cars rolling around now than ever came out of the factory during those two years!

Hi everybody, Newbie here. I found two 1971 Dodge Demons in a junkyard and am contemplating buying one to restore. So my question is: does anyone know if there's a list of Demons broke down by color? I'm looking to buy the one of the two that has the least produced color.
I've also noticed that there is a proliferation of not-so-true information out there, so its hard to determine fact from fiction. For example, I saw a website that said there were 10 Citron Yella 340 Demons made, but a simple web search shows more than 25 different cars in the results.
So does anyone know which is the more rare Demon (color-wise), the Plum Crazy one or the Citron Yella one? Thanks!
I was in your situation 15 years ago. This is what I decided on. No regrets. Good luck with your decision.

IMG_1050.jpeg

Buy the one that has the most original parts and the least amount of rust. Both are rare these days.

I think from a value standpoint, as well as, an easier resale value down the road you can't beat Plum Crazy.

Tom
I disagree, it is sooooo overdone
I wont even look at a purple car at a show
(Hyperbole, of course)

20230805_154425.jpg

I just painted one Plum last year. Not my car but, one of my favorite colors.

Not a Demon but my vote is for Citron Yella. I never see this color in person but Plum Crazy cars are everywhere.
IMG_1720.jpg

Last edited:
Hi everybody, thanks very much for the awesome replies. I'm just kind of surprised that no one said to buy the one with the bigger engine. The Citron Yella one has a 318 and auto trans, and the Plum Crazy one has a 225 slant six and auto trans. Personally, I'm 54 years old, and way beyond the age of trying to beat someone at a traffic light, so I was kind of leaning toward the Plum Crazy car. I've also noticed on the internet that alot of people with 6 cylinder Demons usually rip out the 6 and put in an 8. So that would make the 6 cylinder Demons more of a rarity! For example, how often do you see a four cylinder Firebird at a car show? I never have, but they're out there, haha..

You started off with ‘two demons in a junkyard’ which usually means the cars are missing major components. No mention of how long they have been in the junkyard either. Also no mention of if they have drivetrains nor what the drivetrains were/are. We are not fortune tellers so suggesting the one with the larger engine wasn’t at the top of our minds. Your question was about colour which is what people responded with input on.

It’s your $$ so buy the car you want to own! If your looking for a conversation generator pretty well any classic car will do that regardless of the colour, engine, transmission or the lights. The fact it’s a 53 year old car already makes it ‘rare’. Please don’t equate rare to $$ though.

I never said anything about $$. I know it might sound crazy, but I buy a car because I feel a connection to it, no matter what the condition or perceived selling price. If I was thinking of making $$$ on selling a Demon, the last place I'd be looking is a junkyard! Cars are all fun to play with, no matter if they came out of a showroom or a dump :steering:

Hi everybody, thanks very much for the awesome replies. I'm just kind of surprised that no one said to buy the one with the bigger engine. The Citron Yella one has a 318 and auto trans, and the Plum Crazy one has a 225 slant six and auto trans. Personally, I'm 54 years old, and way beyond the age of trying to beat someone at a traffic light, so I was kind of leaning toward the Plum Crazy car. I've also noticed on the internet that alot of people with 6 cylinder Demons usually rip out the 6 and put in an 8. So that would make the 6 cylinder Demons more of a rarity! For example, how often do you see a four cylinder Firebird at a car show? I never have, but they're out there, haha..
Dont remember that there were any FOUR cylinder Firebirds... Sixes, yes, but I cant remember a 4. There was that lovely OHC6 in 67-8-9 and 'plain' sixes were available in teh second gen with V6s in the third, but cant remember a 4 ever. Of course, never say never, but a 4 in a firebird would be a perfect example of "theres a REASON some things are rare..." [ Of course I dont count anything past a 92 a firebird, so could be wrong.]
Oh, and go with the yellow. Im not wrong on that. :)

Last edited:
There was 4 cyl Camaros in 81-84 or so, so likely a Firebird also? Maybe the 151 Iron Duke?

You want a rare color? Paint it T8 Dark Tan! :lol:

There was 4 cyl Camaros in 81-84 or so, so likely a Firebird also? Maybe the 151 Iron Duke?

You want a rare color? Paint it T8 Dark Tan! :lol:
Really? Learn something new every day...
Imagine it woulda been an Iron Duke during that time period as stated, but what do I know?

But I' still right about the yellow!:)

You started off with ‘two demons in a junkyard’ which usually means the cars are missing major components. No mention of how long they have been in the junkyard either. Also no mention of if they have drivetrains nor what the drivetrains were/are. We are not fortune tellers so suggesting the one with the larger engine wasn’t at the top of our minds. Your question was about colour which is what people responded with input on.

It’s your $$ so buy the car you want to own! If your looking for a conversation generator pretty well any classic car will do that regardless of the colour, engine, transmission or the lights. The fact it’s a 53 year old car already makes it ‘rare’. Please don’t equate rare to $$ though.
Great advice!

-
Back