Plumbing the fuel system, the right way?

-
Phill,

I placed a call to FITech today to get the specifics on your new FI system. Tech support was literally a 30-40 second wait on hold, amazing! The tech instantly answered my few questions and was super well informed on their products, again impressive these days.

Your system requires a #6 AN fitting on both feed and return lines with 3/8" lines. Their kit they sell with pump uses all soft lines. They want the fuel filtered to 30au(microns). They use a 100au prefilter and a 30au between pump and TB. We can do your system in two ways.

1. From tank to filter in soft line with twist lok style fittings, then soft line to hard line on frame rail, then from hard line to TB with soft line. You decide if you want to use prebent "factory replacment" hard lines or bend from a coil of 3/8" steel.

2. From tank to filter to TB with soft lines like they do.

I have done it both ways. Its your choice. I now have complete pricing so I will just have to add it up when I know what you want. The fittings are all USA made by one of the 2-3 USA AN producers. The sort line is Russell or Precision Performance, both NHRA rated. Fittings are available in Black or Red/Blue, the line is either black or blue, you choice. There are a few choices in filters, trick billet cleanable type around $65-$100 and the "factory" type steel ones that are a use and toss about $20-25.

Just to give you an example, our complete system with filter/regulator unit for factory FIsells for $149 including filter/regulator and all fittings & lines. This will not work since you have regulator on TB but a comparison to others kits running $200-$300. Note, we do not use the LS1 filter/regulator like most as the pressure is to high around 58-60 psi. We use one from Mopar that is the correct 48-50 psi specified in Dodge FSM. Our system is plumbed like this rather than dual lines. With the $149 line kit and the $450-$500 tank/pump kit, its a lot cheaper to have a complete new fuel system these days. :cheers:

Attachments

• efi fuel line routing.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 248
Phill,

I placed a call to FITech today to get the specifics on your new FI system. Tech support was literally a 30-40 second wait on hold, amazing! The tech instantly answered my few questions and was super well informed on their products, again impressive these days.

Your system requires a #6 AN fitting on both feed and return lines with 3/8" lines. Their kit they sell with pump uses all soft lines. They want the fuel filtered to 30au(microns). They use a 100au prefilter and a 30au between pump and TB. We can do your system in two ways.

1. From tank to filter in soft line with twist lok style fittings, then soft line to hard line on frame rail, then from hard line to TB with soft line. You decide if you want to use prebent "factory replacment" hard lines or bend from a coil of 3/8" steel.

2. From tank to filter to TB with soft lines like they do.

I have done it both ways. Its your choice. I now have complete pricing so I will just have to add it up when I know what you want. The fittings are all USA made by one of the 2-3 USA AN producers. The sort line is Russell or Precision Performance, both NHRA rated. Fittings are available in Black or Red/Blue, the line is either black or blue, you choice. There are a few choices in filters, trick billet cleanable type around $65-$100 and the "factory" type steel ones that are a use and toss about $20-25.

Just to give you an example, our complete system with filter/regulator unit for factory FIsells for $149 including filter/regulator and all fittings & lines. This will not work since you have regulator on TB but a comparison to others kits running $200-$300. Note, we do not use the LS1 filter/regulator like most as the pressure is to high around 58-60 psi. We use one from Mopar that is the correct 48-50 psi specified in Dodge FSM. Our system is plumbed like this rather than dual lines. With the $149 line kit and the $450-$500 tank/pump kit, its a lot cheaper to have a complete new fuel system these days. :cheers:

Thanks Magnum, your extremely helpful! The thing is I've never done any sort of AN fittings, that;s the reason I was hoping for a kit from someone who does know. Now I know this is a tall order (LOL). it gets worse, I'm hoping for a kit that works for my planned setup, an in-tank pump with a FITech TB aaannd, usable for an A-body that I can actually install without going to try to locate adapters and multiple trips to find them. Really I should know better than this, is it possible? I will be calling Fine Lines or Classic Tube to get the preformed lines, except that I want them both in 3/8, so we will see who is willing to do that.
So going from factory bend type 3/8 lines, in-tank pump 1/4 NPT, FITech not sure what fitting they have at the TB, tell me I'm crazy?

If it matters I will be using factory type stee linesl, not stainless, don't feel I really need it in Florida. Main concern is not having to buy tools for this one install, got enough of those tools. I hear that some of the flex line needs replaced often which is fine on a race car but I want 100k miles out of it. Also I know nothing about the connectors that go from the hard line to the soft flex lines, I hear that is a concern as well.

Dam it, I keep thinking of things. My budget would be up to $300 on this if I got to actually not have to track things down on assmbly day. So if that included the cleanable filter so be it, if not then the throw away. Thanks.

I will pm you price tomorrow or call shop. the flex is tough, used it for my wrangler transmission cooler lines over 10 years ago still going fine.

If it matters I will be using factory type stee linesl, not stainless, don't feel I really need it in Florida. Main concern is not having to buy tools for this one install, got enough of those tools. I hear that some of the flex line needs replaced often which is fine on a race car but I want 100k miles out of it. Also I know nothing about the connectors that go from the hard line to the soft flex lines, I hear that is a concern as well.

This is the adapter fitting I used to go from 3/8 steel hard line to -6 AN male. You will need a double flare tool to make this work.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-640610

There are other adapter fittings available, but they are compression type fittings. I just didn't feel comfortable using that type on my fuel supply.

Phill, I made a fuel diagram for your system. If you use the USA made stainless 30au filter, its easily replaceable at any Napa or Auto Z for under $20. Whole kit is $150 if you supply hard lines. Kit for soft lines is same price. Thats how FITech sells it.

these are some of the kits to help beginners figure out lines and fittings. For the experienced guys, what you get is a great price and 1950's customer service:D

Attachments

• Fuel FITech1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 169
  • Fuel FITech2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 167
  • Fuel reg fact flex.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 152
  • Fuel reg fact FR.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 143
  • Fuel reg fact tube.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 162
-