point distributor

-

Charlie's Dart

Reaction score
I found out today my point distributor is worn out. I've been looking at electronic ignition and buying a distributor from O'Reillys (cardone) but not too sure of the quality. Does anybody suggest a good rebuilder or should I just find a core and rebuild it myself ? I can't afford much (MSD, Mallory ) so just thinking an OE unit might get the job done. Thank you guys for the help. Charlie

"Rebuilts" are a huge crap shoot. Not only do you NOT know about the "quality" of the rebuild procedure, you don't know what you are getting for the core. This means that the advance curve may not be (and probably is not) what you want.

You probably are better off looking here and other places for "good used" or someone who's selling an MP or other after market "used as new," etc or locally in your area.

I kept my original distributor but replaced the points and condenser with a Petronix kit about a year ago. It's been working great and was super easy to install...only to wires to connect and it gives you the diagrams. It's worth checking out

I kept my original distributor but replaced the points and condenser with a Petronix kit about a year ago. It's been working great and was super easy to install...only to wires to connect and it gives you the diagrams. It's worth checking out

That's what I'm using. I've had mine for over 10 years. In fact, I used to have the kit in my Duster before I switched to a full on mopar performance electronic distributor w/ orange box. I swapped out the Petronix kit and used it on the 273 in my Dart. I think I did that about 6-7 years ago.

-
Back