Points Problems

-
Ford 6 points they get mix boxed up a lot. Mopar have a longer loop to the adjustment screw.

Last edited:
@halifaxhops Ray, can you help this fella out with a picture of some known correct slant 6 points?
1695806649638.png

I would also check that condenser out if it is new from the parts store hot and cold.

Last edited:
Ford 6 points they get mix boxed up a lot. Mopar have a longer loop to the adjustment screw.
Thank you halifaxhops! I guess a longer adjustment hole would effectively have the same result as larger rubbing block, and the points you show have both over the one I have. I'm convinced that not only do I have an inferior part, but one that won't even work.

Different application thats all. I have them if needed pm me.

Thank you halifaxhops! I guess a longer adjustment hole would effectively have the same result as larger rubbing block, and the points you show have both over the one I have. I'm convinced that not only do I have an inferior part, but one that won't even work.
Hoppy can fix you up with the right stuff!

Could be something as simple as that. We don't know how much or so little a member may know.
I have duel points in my 69" 340. I always remove the distributor to set the points. Install, then adjust the dwell to specs. Yes, there may be a few in and outs, but it's the best way. Got over 50,000 miles on my last set. Car in photo.

I have old ignition application books, Look up the part number and look on Ebay for NOS made in USA stuff. I just bought a bunch of old Echlin parts in the old original boxes-good quality!

I wonder if it has a older engine or distributor
This is a very real possibility. The car says 225 on the fender tag, but I haven't verified anything, and who knows what has been changed in the car's 53 year life?

I do know the car has the 11/16 plugs with the 'drool tubes' instead of the 5/8s.

I really wanted to tinker with the car this weekend, but it's pretty much been raining non-stop here since yesterday morning.

I did go to into O'Reilly's and asked to see the points they have for a '70 Dart 225, and they handed me the same set with a teeny little rubbing block, so I walked away.

Meanwhile, I ordered a set from halifaxhops. Really hope they'll do the trick.

-
Back