points to electronic 1966 dartgt

-

scottsman

Reaction score
finishing up the rebuild from a slant 6 to 318 and ran into snags.

1. wiring from a points distributor to one wire electric distributor.????

2. new wiring harness under hood to plug into old firewall....what is it called and where do i get it.

3. anyone willing to help in wisconsin, I'm lost..

thanks.

have to go, be back thursday.

Electronic distributors have 2 wires for the pickup, w/ a double-bullet connector. Search ebay for photos.

Changing to electronic ignition should not require a new harness. Simplest is to use a GM HEI 8-pin module & coil. Many posts on that. Cheap at junkyard (85-95 GM V-8 truck) or buy new parts from TrailBeast here (~$150). Could also buy a new distributor w/ HEI module for $45 (ebay).

If you do need a new engine harness (for other reasons), there are 3 in 1966 - engine, lights, & wiper. The engine harness depends on the engine type - slant, SB, or BB/RB. Year One or M&H (their source) and not cheap.

I know it sounds stupid but it has been again 40 years since working on a car like this .
i have a electical block on the firewall i think i still need were the bat and the starter connect to i have a resistor .i have a electronic choke on the new carb with no wire to run it to . i would figure it out some day but i want to still be alive

my hint. after you have it running. get 2 new ballasts and put in the glove box. at the first no start just swap out the one under the hood. the heat and cold is the hardest on the ballasts.

Photos would help. 12 V won't hurt you, so don't fear. You shouldn't need any ballasts on the firewall w/ an HEI distributor. In 1966, the thick red wire for starting should first go to the big stud on the "starter relay", which is on the firewall. Another thick red wire goes down to the starter, along with a smaller brown "contactor" wire.

It sounds like you have a modern carburetor w/ an electric choke. I think you want to wire that to the ignition "run" wire (IGN1 in wiring diagram). You should be running that to your HEI distributor. Most people replace the ballast resistor w/ a bypass wire, which passes IGN1 thru unmolested.

-
Back