POINTS to MP electronic and MSD 6al. Wiring a mess.

-

Shainesboostin

Reaction score
Was hoping someone could tell me what I HAVE. Just got done with my Magnum swap. Kept the points distributor and ballast resistor all hooked up. Fired first try! Runs good. However, I did get a Mopar electronic distributor and a MSD 6al box. I have read instructions and all, but was hoping some one could tell me what is on the car currently? As far as alt. And ballast? My ballast looks different then ones I've seen. Also, they say to tie the blue and brown wires together when deleting the ballast. Looks to me like they already are? They SINGLE blue wire on the left side off the ballast just runs directly to the + on the coil. And they say to keep that wire? I'm a bit confused on that as when the ballast is gone, that wire will just be hanging. I know this has been beat like a dead horse. Just here to learn and help when I can. (Learned alot during the swap).

20161009_145042.jpg

20161015_144308.jpg

20161015_144318.jpg

20160925_130711.jpg

The stock mopar ignition has two separate voltages for the ignition system....they are start and run systems... have some one move the key to start and with a volt meter or a test light....find the wire that has 12 volts...that is the start side...release the key to the run position...the start voltage will disappear and then the other wire is get the voltage...connect those two wires together...and then connect them to the small red wire that goes to the msd 6...that red wire needs 12 volts to run and start...it is basically turns the msd on and off......the heavy red wire provides the voltage for the msd...

The stock mopar ignition has two separate voltages for the ignition system....they are start and run systems... have some one move the key to start and with a volt meter or a test light....find the wire that has 12 volts...that is the start side...release the key to the run position...the start voltage will disappear and then the other wire is get the voltage...connect those two wires together...and then connect them to the small red wire that goes to the msd 6...that red wire needs 12 volts to run and start...it is basically turns the msd on and off......the heavy red wire provides the voltage for the msd...

Yea I know that, but what I'm saying is, if you see in the picture, I have 3 wires total at the ballast. 2 are already tied together by what looks like a factory connector. The 3 wire...single and loose just runs from the other side of the ballast to the coil +. Dosent seem rite. But does run good.

Just use the brown and blue that are on that same terminal and connect them together (I like doing this right at the harness so there is only one wire.
Those two connected together will be your MSD power supply.

The other single wire going from the resistor to the coil is downstream from the resistor and voltage limited. (throw that one away) along with the ballast resistor unless the MSD destructions say specifically to use it, but I don't think they do.

The alternator looks like a dual field "square back" probably between 50-60 amps.

The dual pulleys are for AC, trucks and RV's but it is common to get that when replacing one, and other than the two pulleys it is the same alternator that non AC cars use.

Just use the brown and blue that are on that same terminal and connect them together (I like doing this right at the harness so there is only one wire.
Those two connected together will be your MSD power supply.

The other single wire going from the resistor to the coil is downstream from the resistor and voltage limited. (throw that one away) along with the ballast resistor unless the MSD destructions say specifically to use it, but I don't think they do.

The alternator looks like a dual field "square back" probably between 50-60 amps.

The dual pulleys are for AC, trucks and RV's but it is common to get that when replacing one, and other than the two pulleys it is the same alternator that non AC cars use.

Did you notice they are already are connected? Looks like by a stock connection?

Got it. I've never messed with any of this, but seemed like something wasn't quitell rite after some research.

Did you notice they are already are connected? Looks like by a stock connection?

Yes I noticed, but I would prefer to cut them both back to the harness and have only a single wire going from the harness to the MSD.
That's what I would/did do.

Also since he had points his car would only have a two pin ballast as OEM.

AND one other thing, is to get a better connector on the alt battery post before that one burns in half. :D

Reading rite now the differences in the 2 vs 4 ballast systems. Think that's what threw me. Most things I read were doing install in a 4 ballast.

-
Back