poison ivy

-

longarm

Car sold back to original owners
Reaction score
any you hunters, farmers or cotton pickers know a remedy for poison ivy?
i must have gotten into some somewhere along the line.
this stuff is like the creepin crud, just when ya think the ends in sight
somemore pops up!
its been a week and half and still not let up! i've read there's a super potent
type that starting to emerge, i can't image this stuff getting worse!
any home remedies, old time cures short of cutting it out would be welcome.

i'm starting to wonder if that old witch i was married to put a itching curse
on me. next time i see her fly by she's getting the evil eye!

I'm in the tree care business and we get in that crap all the time. I read a while back that the increase in air pollution is making that stuff stronger. Dont really know how much truth there is to that. There's more to do as far as a preventative than after the fact. "Tecnu Oak and Ivy" is a soap that breaks down the oils, use it after you've been exposed. Theres always good old Benadryl pills or cream that will help, depending on how allergic you are to that stuff. If my guys get it bad enough I'll send them to get a Cortizone shot. They actually make a pill that you can take once a day to let your body build up an immunity to it. They seem to work pretty well.

They actually make a pill that you can take once a day to let your body build up an immunity to it. They seem to work pretty well.

oh man where do i buy that? i need it.

I got it really bad on my stomach back when I was around 17 or 18. I used all the over the counter stuff and finally when visiting my grandmother one day I asked her what to use. Hold on cause this might hurt a little bit ...but...she told me to scratch it raw and then wipe it down with clorox. Yes..clorox. I did it ..screamed like a girl. I did it a couple times a day and within 3-4 days it was gone.

Apparently the company has switched to using a liquid. You put 3-4 drops of it into your juice or a glass of water every morning throughout the season. They recommend you start taking it two weeks before you think you'll be into the stuff. Its called Oral Ivy, we order it from Sherrill Arborist Supply out of Charlotte. 1-800-525-8873, part number is 15824. It costs $19.00 per 1 oz bottle. Cheap stuff if it works for you, but like I said, we've had good luck with it.

Get naked and roll around in it, You'll have a hell of a case of it for a while but you probably won't catch it again!

X

Apparently the company has switched to using a liquid. You put 3-4 drops of it into your juice or a glass of water every morning throughout the season. They recommend you start taking it two weeks before you think you'll be into the stuff. Its called Oral Ivy, we order it from Sherrill Arborist Supply out of Charlotte. 1-800-525-8873, part number is 15824. It costs $19.00 per 1 oz bottle. Cheap stuff if it works for you, but like I said, we've had good luck with it.

hell i need it all stinking summer.. i have it all over the place here

Its getting worse for sure here in South Carolina. Its growing more and I personally think its getting more potent. It seems that the drier out summers, the worse that stuff is. The same goes for the damn yellow jackets!!

I got it really bad on my stomach back when I was around 17 or 18. I used all the over the counter stuff and finally when visiting my grandmother one day I asked her what to use. Hold on cause this might hurt a little bit ...but...she told me to scratch it raw and then wipe it down with clorox. Yes..clorox. I did it ..screamed like a girl. I did it a couple times a day and within 3-4 days it was gone.

Holy F**k, damn.

Thank god we don't have the stuff here. But we do have a nasty plant that hurts like hell when you run into it... Nettles. Anyone that has run into those knows what I am talking about.

Chuck

I used this one stuff called zanfel it worked pritty good but I did use it after about 1 week of it spreading this stuff is expensive as hell like $40 for a 4 oz tube that will only work on an area about the size of your back but it is a 1 time use type of thing took the itch away instantly and the itch never came back and the ivy went away in about 2-3 days. I would only use as a last resort, also I have done the whole clorox thing it works great but feels like yuor skin is being pulled off very slowly.

ok guys is there not usualy a natural remeady close by in the form of another plant or earth that counters the poison ivy? kinda like mud and sting nettals?

we dont have any poison ivy around here but lots of poison oak. i seem to find it all the time. if you can get a bleach rubdown asap it usually never even turns to a rash.

Yeah ... my first encounter with nettle was on my right butt cheek.....OOOOOOHHHHHHH MMMYYYYYYYY GOODDDD!!!! Not even funny!:mumum:

Vinegar wash or wipe down.then over the courter stuff.
Grandma did this to all the kids that got into it.
Me!! I got into in allot as a child and know it don't sped at all.
And is gone in two days if I touch the plant.

But some people can just hit the ivy with a stick and not even touch it and the get it bad '
Seams like the vinegar wash or wipe down did the trick for us kids.
but she would wipe the kids down 3 to 5 times a day on the infected area.

thanks for the help guys, i'm off to the store for a cucumber first
thing in the morning.
i already tried clorox and ivy dry.
Zendel is on the list next, this stuff is tearing me up.
i havn't been bothered by ivy in years, just a dot here or there.
i did get into some nettles this summer, hurt like he!! but didn't last
near as long. i'd trade it for this itch anytime.
i think we must have baled some in our hay and i got it feeding.

Found this from the University of indiana, hope it helps, Tim.

Poison Ivy
Poison ivy is the common name given to a plant which can cause an unpleasant, itchy rash (as you probably already know). Here are some facts about the plant and the rash that might help you work and play outdoors more comfortably.

What is poison ivy and how can I identify it?

The plant is extremely common in Bloomington and in the country surrounding the city. It is a versatile plant, and usually grows as a vine on trees, rock walls, or buildings. If there is no such support nearby, poison ivy will grow as a small bush or shrub. Poison ivy has a number of relatives which can cause an identical rash on sensitive persons. This group includes poison oak, poison sumac (which doesn't grow here), the cashew tree, the mango (mango fruit, not the green pepper), and the fruit of the Ginkgo tree.

A typical poison ivy leaf is made up of three leaflets, all joined together to a common stalk. The leaflet stems at the point where they join are often colored slightly reddish (but not always). The leaflets may have toothed edges (as in poison oak) or may be smooth. Grape-like clumps of greenish, then white berries appear in mid-summer, and in fall the leaves turn an attractive orange-yellow or red.

How does poison ivy cause a rash?

The rash occurs after a person who is allergic to poison ivy gets the sap from the plant on the skin. The plant must be damaged (bruised or cut) before the sap can escape, so touching an undamaged plant will usually not cause a rash. Damaging any part of the plant (including the vine and roots), any time of year will release enough sap to cause problems. Smoke from burning the plant can also cause a rash, or worse reactions if it is inhaled. Pets, tools, and clothing can carry the sap to the skin also.

What is the treatment for poison ivy?

Once the sap gets on the skin it soaks in quickly. Washing with soap and cool water within 10 or 20 minutes of exposure may prevent the rash, but washing within an hour of exposure can reduce the seriousness of the rash that follows. After an hour or two the sap soaks in completely and can no longer be released from the skin. The sap can be carried on clothing, shoes, tools and pets for weeks and still cause a rash if touched. Soap and water washing of these items is an important step in getting rid of the sap. The rash appears in one or two days, but may start as early as six hours or as much as two weeks after exposure.

The rash cannot be spread by scratching or by the blister fluid. It usually heals within two or three weeks. Broken blisters can become infected like any other open wound, and should be well cared for. An antibiotic ointment and band aids may be used. The rash will itch and swell more with a hot shower, whirlpool, or sauna, so cool baths or showers will be more comfortable. Over the counter medications such as calamine lotion, Burow's solution soaks and hydrocortisone cream might produce some relief. If you are not able to obtain relief using these suggestions you may want to see a health care provider for further assessment.

Unfortunately, "shots" of poison ivy sap are not of much help in preventing poison ivy. Some "barrier creams" (such as Stokogard) can be effective in preventing or slowing the absorption of the poison ivy sap into the skin, but soap and water washing is still required as soon as practical after exposure. Still, knowledge and avoidance of the plant are the best for prevention.

The Whole Truth About Poison Ivy
The poison ivy rash can't be spread by scratching once the rash has developed.
The sap from the poison ivy plant causes the rash.
Damaging any part of the plant, any time of year releases the sap.
The sap can be carried on tools, clothing, and pets for weeks and still cause a rash if touched.
The sap can soak through cloth or rubber gloves, or clothing.
Smoke from burning the plant contains the sap.
A person can become sensitive to the sap at any time in life.
Soap and cool water washing within 10 to 20 minutes of exposure to the sap can prevent the rash.
Washing an hour or two after exposure to poison ivy can lessen the seriousness of the rash that follows.
The rash usually appears within two days, but can take as little as six hours or as much as two weeks to develop.
The poison ivy plant is extremely common in Bloomington.
Poison ivy "shots" are of NO use in preventing the rash.
Some so-called skin barrier creams or sprays can provide slight protection from the sap (and the rash).
The best protection comes from avoiding the plant!

Ive always used plain old pink caladryl till it clears up. they have it in clear now too.

-
Back