Polished aluminum trim coating

-
That’s incorrect. The factory “brite dipped” the grilles. If your grille hasn’t been touched, there’s not much you can do. You can strip to bare aluminum and polish it, paint it and then 1-2 times a year polish it with mother’s. Or you can strip it, polish it and send it out for brite dipping. Then paint it or just let whatever company do the brite dipping do it all. It’ll cost you big time.

That’s incorrect. The factory “brite dipped” the grilles. If your grille hasn’t been touched, there’s not much you can do. You can strip to bare aluminum and polish it, paint it and then 1-2 times a year polish it with mother’s. Or you can strip it, polish it and send it out for brite dipping. Then paint it or just let whatever company do the brite dipping do it all. It’ll cost you big time.

Yes.

But if you clear paint it, I would not suggest aluminum polish. Specialized aluminum polish is for direct contact with bare aluminum. Products like Wenol, AutoSol, never dull, mothers mag polish...

I have straitened, stripped and polisher the grill and trunk pieces. Most threads I have found polished the aluminum and coated with Mothers or some thing similar. Just looking for a coating to protect long term, brite dipping would be great, but expensive. Por15 and Eastwood offer products that are two part and the reviews are not good, loss of luster, yellowing and adhesion are the problems. Just searching for something I won't have to strip off because it failed.

Hate to break this news to you, but "bright dip" is anodizing. Bright Dip Aluminum Anodizing - Pioneer Metal Finishing Bright Dipping - Bright Dip Aluminum - 5357, 5457, 6063, 7016, & 7029 | Del's Plating Works - Houston, TX

They are one in the same, but back then it was called brite dipping.

Irregardless as to what you call it, the O.P. wanted to know what to use to protect his polished aluminum parts. Clear anodizing is the best way to protect those parts. It is quite impervious to common automotive chemicals, and a simple coat of auto wax will keep it clean & shiny almost forever. If you send aluminum trim out to a restorer such as "King of Trim" they will clear anodize the parts after polishing, and then apply any paint details last (as needed). The stuff I had done 10+ years ago still looks brand new.
There are many drawbacks to all other coatings. Any type of clear paint will change the color of the aluminum slightly, as well as almost always dulling the shine somewhat. They tend to flake/peel off too, mostly because in order to get paint to "stick" to metal it needs to be roughed up somewhat. Of course you cannot do that to polished parts.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I need to just do the job the right way the first time and have the pieces bright dipped/anodized.

I've been using MC-160 from NIC Industries on my polished pieces for a few years now and it has replaced clear powder on them completely. Customers and I are both delighted with it.

All you need is an HVLP spray gun with a .08 tip ($17.99 on ebay). It's marketed as the "World's Strongest Clear Coat" and will not yellow, fade or chip.

FB_IMG_1525401049249.jpg

Once on the site, click the Cerakote Clear section. There are five different formulations -- polished metals, pvd, etc., and even a matte clear if you don't want extra shine.
NICIndustries.com

Thanks, Leanna and Trailbeast. The mc-160 is what I am looking for. I appreciate the help.

You're welcome! A little goes a long way; the trial size might even be enough for all of your trim. Hit me up if you need anything.

It is also refered to as Flash Anodize. If left in longer it will yellow. Anodize of Mesa in Arizona

I wonder if a "wrap" of some kind would work as a "preserver" so to speak?
I know some new fleet vehicles have it applied as a clear "wrap" over painted surfaces. Helps protect and preserve paint against stonechips, dings etc.

-
Back