Fun Toy

PA072129.jpg

Daily Driver

us1297.jpg

Fun Toys

P6041685.jpg

Daily Rider

BlackbirdDone.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I like the old stuff. But not as a daily driver.

They may be fun for the short stuff but not for the long haul.

Mustang-- 13.8 1/4 mile and 24-25 mpg on the highway. 106k miles..3 sets of tires,1 clutch, oil and filters.

Dart--- 13.8 1/4 mile 10 to 11 mpg Soggy suspension, soggy seats, soggy brakes. 68k miles Beautiful burn-outs, sounds great, A/C, no overdrive, gets lots of attention, most (not all) neighbors love the way it sounds.
If I had to make a 800 mile trip on a moments notice, I would load my suitcase in the trunk of the Mustang and be there 11 hours later.

Onto the bikes.

72 Kaw 500 -22 mpg low 11sec 1/4 mile back in the day. Hard to keep in tune, LOUD, cop magnet, fish oil suspension, flexi-flyer frame, vibrates, single disc brake fades,leaves a smoke screen a WWII destroyer would be proud of, no torque, 50% (30 hp to 60 hp) increase in H/P in less than 800 rpm. Most neighbors dislike it, they think John Force is cackling thru the hood.
Rave reviews from old bike people. Younger generation does not know what it is.

Honda Blackbird--43 mpg 162 HP, low 10sec 1/4 mile. Hit the starter button and go. Quick, quiet, stealthy and reliable as an anvil (or a slant 6).

I have ridden the Kaw 500 from Cincinnati to Ft. Lauderdale and back in 1973..back when I was young and dumb. It was great because there was not very much of anything better to ride. Today, I would take a car.

I have my cake and can eat it to!

now idk in other states but here in cali old cars are cheaper all the way around except gas. my registration if half of my dads 07 dodge 1500. $71 is mine and my insureance my cuz has a 02 intrepid and he pays like 150 a MONTH MINE I GOT FOR A SMOOTH 64BUCKS. IS IT NOT LIKE THIS EVREYWHERE.?

I think it's about 50 / year for tabs on my 69 Barracuda here.... If I change it to collector plates, it is a one time 30$ (unless it went up) and then no more tabs each year!

Love my old cars and wouldn't hesitate to hop in one and drive it any time of the year, but with the amount I drive it is sure nice to have the modern day things and over 2xs the gas millage.

I have a 68 cuda with a 318, a 70 dart build in process with a 408, and my daily driver is a 77 chevy 3/4 ton 4X4...I spend alot of money on gas. I sure wish I had a newer car. I'm almost at the point of selling my truck to get a little beater civic or something...I will possibly get a Honda CBR 600 RR this summer though...

I said old car, and I mean it. When a drunk ran into my ten-month old Honda Civic and totaled it, I could not get enough money from the insurance company to buy another. So I made the choice to get a car I could fix when it broke.

My Demon is my toy, but the Dart is my daily driver in bad weather. I also use it when I have to carry a lot of stuff or am going a long distance. The Dart is getting 16 mpg around town and 25 mpg on the road. It has /6, A/T, A/C, PS, and a 80 watt/channel sound system. With the cloth interior it is comfortable on the road and is plenty fast enough to get the job done or get a speeding ticket. It will also carry six adults should the need arise.

However, for around town in fair weather, I went to a Honda Metropolitan scooter. It is a hoot to ride around on. It tops out at 40 mph, so I have to stick to surface streets. But, it gets 120 mpg. I can get a bag of groceries under the seat and hang three more from the peg on the handlebar column. (You can substitute a 6 pack of beer and a bag of ice under the seat if that is a more meaningful unit of measure to you.) It's nice to be able to flop a fiver on the counter and say. "I'm filling up and I'll be back for my change."

Piglet.jpg

My newest car is my '72 Challenger. I drive rain or shine, and have even been caught in the snow a few times. Hopefully soon my butterscotch '71 Dart GT will be on the road too so I can catch up with a few things I need to do to the Challenger. My oldest "car" at the moment is my '37 Dodge pickup, which is awaiting a '51 331 hemi. :-D

The only new thing I own is my bike, an '07 Triumph Speed Triple, which I ride as much as I can in the summer to keep the miles on the Challenger down. But that's it, no new cars and I don't plan on any either. I can't see owning anything newer than '75 (when smog laws take over here in CA), since you can't really make any changes to them. I like to work on my cars, and aftermarket parts are no fun if you have to cross your fingers and hope you don't get stopped and reported to the EPA every time you take it around the block. Besides, the monkeys at the stealerships don't know anything anyway, and charge 3 or 4 times as much as it would cost me to fix anything new. Computers are great, but not on my car.

Old! The newest thing we own is my 73 dart and even that is getting to be to new for me. I have no car payment, the slant six gets better mileage than my neighbors new BMW, anything built before 73 can be worked on with no problem, parts are cheap, if I want to tweak something I don't need to reprogram anything, they make just about any modern continences you would ever want to bolt into your older car, car shows, thumbs up going down the road, you can fix just about anything on the side of the road with a screwdriver and a crescent wrench, paying out your *** each month for years for a new truck/car or Craigslist, $500-$2500 and a tune up for an older one and you can have a daily driver, oh and real not this plated plastic crap!

Besides there is more of a chance that that spandex wearing jackass that rides his 10 speed in the road going under the speed limit in front of traffic might survive getting bounced off the plastic covered syrofoam thing that they call a bumper now but one hit from my 73 dart and that bastard will be impaled by the bumper guards on my dart and he will never get back up!

Old and new. 08 charger for winter and long trips. 73 Valiant and Scamp for summer fun.

My daily driver is a 1987 Dodge D150 slant six short bed with 83,000 miles on it. Dont need or want anything newer than that.

-
Back