POLL-Paint or undercoat?

Undercoating or paint interior floor?

• Total voters
-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
Since I'm re-doing the interior of my Duster, I am torn between doing paint or spray on undercoating after I remove all the rust and paint with rust converter.
Paint really, really looks good, but I am more concerned with performance than looks, as once the carpet is down, you can't see it anyway. Would there be any advantages/disadvantages for either, other than the obvious ones:
1) Tar (Undercoating) is very slow to dry and remains tacky for years sometimes
2) Carpeting and insulation might tend to stick to tar
3) Tar would probably do a better job of sound-deadening and sealing out fumes?
4) Tar does not look original (not that it matters)
On the other hand-
1) Paint is expensive
2) Paint looks 'factory' and is original
3) Paint dries quickly
4) Insulation and carpeting will not stick to cured paint

Anything obvious I'm missing? What are your experiences, pro's and con's?
Feel free to post any pictures and voice your experiences and opinions, both positive and negative!

Paint and dynamat or similar. If you decide to undercoat, I would look for a spray on bed liner material that doesn't get too brittle and remains somewhat pliable.

Paint and dynamat or similar. If you decide to undercoat, I would look for a spray on bed liner material that doesn't get too brittle and remains somewhat pliable.

OK...S'plain to me Lucy...what, exactly, is Dynamat?

This is DynaMat.

If it's noise your concerned about, use this stuff.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dynamat-10455-Xtreme-Bulk-Pack-9-Sheet-Bulk-Pack-/281151678664

I'm pretty sure summit over there in the U.S sells it as well.
Id just use a good rust proofer like POR15 and then dynamat and then lay your underlay/carpet.

Me personally , I like it loud, Hot & Fast.:burnout:

dynamat%20(816%20x%20612).jpg

Its called "Chassis saver" Same inventors of POR15 . Spray or brush it on over anything. Unlike POR15 it sticks to every thing not just the rust. And there are no pre wash solvents necessary. Spray it or brush it right out of the can. It even fills pinholes. Use fiber mesh and you can patch small holes. Good ****. Gets hard like a rock. it doesn't even glass bead off.

I used Rust Bullet (similar to POR-15). This is a rust encapsulator/preventer, and I will paint over it in the trunk area and anywhere else that may peek through with the body color.

From my understanding, putting a giant layer of dynamat all over everything solves some problems and creates a few more. Since it is a substantial enough layer, it is possible for vibrations to transfer through it.

ALSO- a buddy of mine used tar sheet crap from home depot, and then some tar based stuff he bought from a parts store, both were cheaper than dynamat, but contain asphalt which never cures and on hot days the car smells like a freshly paved street! :wack: :eek:ops:

I am going with the Quietride Solutions insulation/sound deadening package. These guys are Mopar savvy and have measured several of my families' cars for templates.

http://www.quietride.com/auto-acoustics-101.htm

http://www.quietride.com/dynamat.htm

Excerpt: Coverage: How much is enough? Always the first good question. You do not need to cover the entire panel--edge to edge. Cutting the Dynamat material into one inch strips and spacing it out over a panel to achieve a 30 to 50 percent coverage will give you excellent sound deadening characteristics.

The Knuckle Test: Rap your knuckles on the panel before you install any Dynamat to learn what a bare panel sounds like. Then adhere a one inch strip of Dynamat in the center of the panel.

Rap it again to see out the sound has changed. Add another piece of material to the left and right of your center piece, splitting the difference between the edge of the panel and your center strip.

Rap the panel again to hear how the sound has changed. Repeat this process until you are satisfied with the “density” of the sound level.

I have seen many dun with POR15 and then dynamat, this will be my direction when the time comes Captain :hello2:

POR-15 and Dynamat would be excellent. I would NOT use Tar, that would make a mess...

"Chassis saver" is the upgraded POR15. New out and works and lasts much longer without peeling or sun fade. I switched over and much better quality then POR15.

They had to wait 5 years after the sale of the POR15 franchise to bring out their new product. Now it is just catching on. Steve

The black on this tractor is Chassis Saver right over the rust. Did several projects with it.

Attachments

• Picture 023.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 704
  • Picture 003.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 716
  • Picture 066.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 723
  • Picture 082.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 723
POR-15 and Dynamat would be excellent. I would NOT use Tar, that would make a mess...

I think he means tar sheets, Not a gig old can of tar. I believe GM used tar sheets under their carpets in the 70s.

I did some research on the different brands of "sound mat" and went with Megamat. It's a butyl product of the same composition as DynaMat's top of the line. It's just as thick but costs considerably less. Just FYI

depends on your floor pan, I replaced mine so it's fresh metal, no point in using a rust converter so paint and a dynamat like product after, but if you have the standard surface rust issues, POR 15 or Chassis Saver.

I think he means tar sheets, Not a gig old can of tar. I believe GM used tar sheets under their carpets in the 70s.

What I meant (sorry for the confusion!) was a spray-on undercoating like Westley's Undercoating (which is, quite frankly, 'spray tar in an aerosol bomb'). I used this on the bottom of the Li'l Red Minx and it took months to actually set up to where it was no longer tacky.

Waste your money if you want. But Lowes sells good old Rustoleum oil based paint for 27 bucks a gallon. Properly prepped and applied, it will out last you.

I Linexed the entire bottom of my car with SMART brand liner. Looks beautiful and acts as a sound deadener and is strong as hell. Plus it looks great and is easy to clean.

What I meant (sorry for the confusion!) was a spray-on undercoating like Westley's Undercoating (which is, quite frankly, 'spray tar in an aerosol bomb'). I used this on the bottom of the Li'l Red Minx and it took months to actually set up to where it was no longer tacky.

Most spray undercoatings are rubberized undercoatings. Thats what I used on my Dart

Waste your money if you want. But Lowes sells good old Rustoleum oil based paint for 27 bucks a gallon. Properly prepped and applied, it will out last you.

Used it on my Barracuda. 10 years later when I pulled the carpet it was still rock hard.

Used it on my Barracuda. 10 years later when I pulled the carpet it was still rock hard.

Calvin (clhyer) painted his whole Duster with it. Hammertone underneath and all the chassis parts and white and black on the body. It looks great even as close as you can get.

-
Back