Poll: Power or Manual steering?

-

SteveM

Reaction score
My leaky old PS box has to go in my 67 small block cuda.

Go manual, say goodbye to leaks, get a little HP, headers and a better arm workout or...

Upgrade the PS box for a tighter model (Firm Feel), along with all of the other odds and ends, and maybe contend with leaks for a more pleasant steering experience.

Thoughts?

Power for me. Guess it depends on how often you plan on driving it/how the car will be used. Drag car manual, daily driver power.

I have rebuilt several boxes. They re not rocket science. Maybe a little nerve-racking for a newbie. You can get from Mopar new reaction discs to reduce the amount of assist, to help get a more funner driving experience. I think I added 2 or maybe 3 to mine. Just take your time and dont force anything. Dissassembly pictures will be a big help, or a manual, or both. I wouldnt go back to manual on a streeter.I got a box full of those, somewhere.

and if your really worried about having headers you can go with schumacher tri-ys or TTI shorties and keep the power steering...

I'd go manual. The Flaming River box's 16.1 ratio is heavy I've heard but thes stock Mopàr box has a 24.1 ratio. Not heavy at all. I had mine rebuilt thru Rockauto. Cost me $149 for the rebuild and return shipping.

On a street driven Cuda I would definitely go Power Steering, I got a reman steering box For $100 from Advance 4-5 years ago and haven't had a leak from it yet.As for headers, Hedman hedders fit well and doesn't hit my steering gear (but it is close).

Manual on an A body, they are a compact car that only showed some "feel" after a front sway bar.
I have an aluminum box that has (K3 14J) stamped on it, the ratio is the fastest one at 14:1 or 16:1 and it's easy with 215R70-14" front tires and max. rear tilt caster.
I put a FlamingR at 16:1, On my Ebody, with same positive caster, and smaller steering wheel is the hardest car/truck I ever drove. That car will need the power back when I stop drag racing it. But the 68cuda will never need power, no mater how arthritic I get. Same story with power brakes, not needed on an A Body. But that factory disc braked E-body was designed for power.

The power can be rebuilt by Firm Feel and they have different levels they can adjust it too. My dad has the Stage 1 in a 66 Coronet 500 with a 440 and the feed back is nice and no slop or over powered feeling. My Dart has a manual steering box and that 24:1 is good for drag racing and not much else. I have a 16:1 box ready to take its place.....

Manual.

I have a 16:1 Flaming River manual box in my Duster, and I have 275's in the front. Sure, it isn't the easiest thing to park, but over 10mph its no big deal. And I drive it all the time. Not quite my daily, but its getting close. I even have a tuff wheel on it, so a bigger diameter wheel would make things easier too.

A 24:1 stock manual box with more reasonable sized tires wouldn't be a big deal at all.

I mean, if my scrawny arms can turn these with a 16:1...
IMG_1915_zps32183594.jpg

Ha ha ha, so the answer is... personal preference.

Thanks for the replies.

of course its personal preference. How will the car be used, and how its setup determines the choice, usually. Power is nice, but if its not used everyday, manual is probably acceptable and much simpler.

I've got the Flaming river manual box on my '70 duster love it,never go back to power steering,and it took like 60lbs off the frontend by changing over..:D:D

-
Back