Poll-which rear end?

Which rear end combo to run?

• Total voters
-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
After checking out the rear end I have out of The Duke, I've determined it's a 489 8-3/4 Sure Grip in 3.55 with approx. 100,000 miles on it; no known problems. I also have the rear end out of the Li'l Red Minx after her untimely demise....determined to be a 489 8-3/4 Sure Grip with probably 3.91 (possibly 4.10?). Has not been run since the accident (front end) and spins freely. Has approx 54,000 miles. So here's the deal; I'll be running a 340, 4-speed with a pretty decent cam (approx. 475 lift and 290+ duration) and a single plane manifold, which means most of the business will take place upstairs (2500-6000 RPM). Which rear end would you go with, or would you mix 'n' match? Car is going to be used as a play-toy street/strip and car show thing. Please vote in the attached poll, and if you wouldn't mind, add why you chose the option you did. Thanks!:D

um, I'm not seeing a poll am i blind?

At the top.
wasnt there a minute ago lol

anyway, I say 3.91 as is, with what you're wanting out of the car, I think the shorter gear will work for you. if you arent going to see the strip much though, the 3.55s might be a tad lighter of a hit at the gas pump. :burnout:

I voted 3.91 to 1. Personally I would prefer a dual plane and 3.55's. I think it would last longer and be cheaper to run. If you just want to have fun with the set up you have, gears in the 4's would probably keep you tight in the seat.

With that combo, best performance would be with the 91's.
After reading your post I would check the sure grip if they are original cone type in the 489 cases.With that power,might be on the verge of being worn out. One other thing I judge, the intended use is road conditions, such as out here in the desert west it's mostly highway 65-75 posted speed.Most drive well above those numbers.I get the finger alot for not being able to keep up speed with traffic.

To me this is yesterday's poll because everyone would be using a 904 or 727 transmission ( Non overdrive ) with it's first gear ratio of 2:45 and would need 3:55 just for the street and highway / or 3:91 for street and race with bigger tires...

In today's world with those driving street and some track using a GM 200 4R with it's 2:66 first gear and 4th gear overdrive or the 700 R4 with it's 3:07 first gear and 4th gear overdrive - the rear end's lower gear like 3:91 would be a bear to drive normally and practically put you in the same position as we've been for the past 40 years between, rear end ratios, tire size and 1st. gear of your transmission...

I am sure yawl' understand how crucial this is and cannot be under-minded...

Not really that large of a cam. Much more useable power with an Performer RPM & 3:55's. I made the switch to 4:10's & a Victor intake with a .501? Comp Cam. Not a fan honestly on the street. Would much rather go back someday.

To me this is yesterday's poll because everyone would be using a 904 or 727 transmission ( Non overdrive ) with it's first gear ratio of 2:45 and would need 3:55 just for the street and highway / or 3:91 for street and race with bigger tires...
Might be Yesterday's Poll but it's Today's Decision for me as I'm not running an auto. Just trying to pick the right combo for my proposed build

My 340 / 4spd, 484 lift cam runs great with 3.55 gear. I also do a LOT of street and highway driving, sometimes for pretty long distances too.

I picked the 3:91 as is because the mileage seems reasonable and because I had a 69 Cuda 340 4 spd with 4:10's and that thing pulled like a freight train in third gear. Man that was fun!

Lots of cool responses! I see a few voted for 3.91 in the old diff but no explanation why? My reasoning was I don't know if there was any damage done to the old rear end in the accident. Your reasoning is......?

it all comes down to how much "cruising" you want to do. My buddy has a 340/ 4spd car with 3.91's and the car a fast as hell but not the greatest for hwy driving... I wanted 3.91's initially, but after the first couple of long distance drives I really enjoy the 3.55's now ! Good off the line and good hwy driving ...

I voted 3.55's because it is a good "compromise gear" for us cuntry bunkins that aint got no overdrive son.:D

i have a 355 sure grip in my 68 fastback with a hot street 318 and 4 speed. that thing sure did boogy! i would have loved to try a 391-410 gear...it wold help with the small CI and low torque it had..

3:91 as is.
I would try them both seeing you have them and see what suits you the best.
But I bet you'll like the 3:91s better unless you decide to drive it more on the highway.

Not a tough decision to make, really. On any kind of street car, I like to use what the factory did as a guide. So lets look and see how the factory handled it.

First, even though you're not going auto, lets throw it in for comparisons sake. An auto has a torque converter. It multiplies the torque it sees from the engine, usually on the order of around 2 to 1. I know most probably are like 1.5 or so and not 2 to 1, but for arguments sake, lets say it is 2 to 1.

In the case of the auto, since torque is multiplied, the vehicle can stand a higher (numerically lower) gear. Most factory auto cars used gears in the 2.76-3.23 range. 3.55 was considered a performance gear for an auto and was usually an option.

Lets look at the 4 speed. Here for a coupler from the engine, we have a clutch. It's either engaged or disengaged. There is no torque multiplication. Conversely, there is no slippage at highway speed, either. Remember, unless a converter is a lockup unit, it never sees 100% lockup, but a clutch does. That means two cars with the same final gear, but one auto and one 4 speed, the 4 speed will rev the engine slightly lower at the same highway speed as the auto, since the auto has slippage in the converter.

This is the reason the factory used lower (numerically higher) gears in 4 speed cars. First, they need a little more leverage from takeoff, since there is no torque multiplier (converter). Secondly, since a 4 speed achieves 100% lockup unlike an auto, the engine turns less RPM at the same given speed as the auto, so the 4 speed car can stand a lower ratio gear set. This is why the 3.55 was usually standard in 4 speed cars and the 3.91 and 4.10 were optional. Since your camshaft will be significantly larger than what the factory used in cars with a 4 speed and 3.55s, I would choose the 3.91 gear. Even with the 3.91, you will still be turning less RPM on the highway, than if you had an auto.

Leave it to Rusty to put in perspective that even the village idiot could comprehend! Thanks, bud!

I'd run the 391 as is, put some tires on it roll it around, or use a dial indicator to make sure the axles aren't bent, change the sure grip fluid and call it good.

I'd run the 391 as is, put some tires on it roll it around, or use a dial indicator to make sure the axles aren't bent, change the sure grip fluid and call it good.

Yeah, I thought about using a dial indicator, too.

-
Back