Poly 318 Questions

-

skokz

Reaction score
Im not sure if this is in the right section. It is a c-body question but not a member on that forum. Signed up over there but cant post over there yet.

Does anyone know if a 62 poly 318 will fit in a 68 fury that had a 318?
From what I can see looks like the bellhousing are the same.
The distributors will change out too.
My biggest concern is will it fit since they are wider and fit with the steering linkage.
Should it have the same oil pan setup as the fury if it came out of a car?

Found one for sale trying to get as much info as can before drive two hours to go look at it.
Thanks.

Unless you are going to build this for the "nostalgic fun" or some such, there is absolutely no advantage "practically" to regressing to a poly. Parts for these are hard to find, generally.

Since my fury doesn't have a motor in it and this poly 318 has just been rebuilt and running is why considering going this route.

It will fit the engine compartment. Canadian Fury's still used the poly 318 in '67. I don't have tech knowledge regarding the swap. I've owned some cars with the poly and they lasted forever. The valve covers just have two bolts so you have to be careful not to overtighten them, I do remember that.

yes the poly is a heavy small block, but were good engines. they will really draw attention. there is even a factory dual 4 set up for them.
there is a fairly sizable group of mopar guys that are deicated them to.
I vote keep the poly especially since it is fresh.
you can study up on what can be done to really make them run, but last time I looked, it, like anything, can get into your pocket.. yes they last almost forever...

yes the poly is a heavy small block, but were good engines. they will really draw attention. there is even a factory dual 4 set up for them.
there is a fairly sizable group of mopar guys that are deicated them to.

I'm one of them :D

engine_angle.jpg

Mine is 425hp at the crank. It's in a '60 Dart Seneca.

We're using a poly for my dads '66 charger project, finding parts can be a challenge, but they're good motors. Although the dual 4 barrel intakes exist, it's an act of god and congress to find one. I see single 4 barrels around though.

Polys are good engines and some of the parts but not all are the same as a 318 LA. I know a guy who rebuilt a 318 Poly and used the LA cam and wondered why it wouldn't run the cams will fit but are way differant

Since my fury doesn't have a motor in it and this poly 318 has just been rebuilt and running is why considering going this route.

This is not a reason to do so, I can assure you. I won't argue these are "good engines." But even though this can be made to fit, does not make it a good "fit."

Just went and looked at it. Fired right up.
Another question what is the difference between the poly manifolds and manifolds that would be in the 68. Would the manifolds from the 68 work or better off modify the exhaust system on car to the manifolds on 65 block.

I sure loved mine.With a 4 bbl intake ,carb, and TTI headers and exhaust these things really wake up !! Check out Chrysler Power magazine. They are doing a lot with the Poly,many new parts.

Attachments

• IMG_0819.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 245
Nope completely different animals.Exhaust ports way different. Look like the Big Brother Hemi

Attachments

• IMG_1389.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 243
Exhaust manifolds are completly different that will be your biggest challange with a poly engine. The poly and LA engines share a lot. The cam and heads are completly different. A great book with a section about the poly (or A) engines is Chrysler Engines by Frank Adkins. the ISBN number is 1-884089-54-2 not sure if it is still in print.

Brian

members here might can answer all your questions, but you might also try the FBBO guys. probably larger number of people there that have tried all the various things with the poly, probably.
the guys that do the " Chrysler power" mag, they seem to be up to their armpits in poly things! I have read about them years back, than can make decent power, but last time I read, it costs more to get than what you could get out of a 340, 360 for same or loess $$.
lets face it, some of us Mopars guys don't always follow the "cookie cutter" theory. if a person can afford it, there are guys that love to make more power out of the poly, especially if they have an early car that came with it originally.
maybe some other members can chime in on the power they can make.

To put this another way, manifolds for a poly only fit one thing..........a poly. You'll have to get something to fit your body. I don't know if truck manifolds would, but anything else likely would fit. You need to see if you can get head pipes (or at least stubs) for 'em too.

Skokz, I have head pipes for the Poly manifolds. I had duals on my car before going with the TTI exhaust. The pipes go from the manifolds @ 2'' into 2 1/2'' pipes.Guessing about 30'' long. PM me if you have any interest.

Thanks for all the info. The poly motor is complete from oil pan to carb. It came with the original manifolds.
Only thing I'll have to look into next is the flexplate and torque converter.
I have the original flexplate and torque converter from the '68 but the poly doesn't have one.
After figure that out will be attempting to install it in the next few weeks.

Skokz, I have head pipes for the Poly manifolds. I had duals on my car before going with the TTI exhaust. The pipes go from the manifolds @ 2'' into 2 1/2'' pipes.Guessing about 30'' long. PM me if you have any interest.

Let me clear some messages out of my inbox and I'll send you pm here in a few minutes.

one thing to think about, it being a 62 engine, will the crank register hole be the right size for the 68 converter?

one thing to think about, it being a 62 engine, will the crank register hole be the right size for the 68 converter?

It's actually a 65 not a 62. The owner thought was a 62 so that's why had 62 in original post.

Good idea to check it

I put a 273 crank out of hipo motor in a 340 and guess what, torque convertor didn't fit into crank

Ok I was young and stupid

The LA 318 flex plate and converter will work. Prior to 62 had a flat flange 8 bolt. Even the register hole is ok. The motor mounts will work. The exhaust is the biggest issue and even that you should be able to use a poly y pipe. Not sure about the engine accessory brackets or radiator hoses.

Brian

The LA 318 flex plate and converter will work. Prior to 62 had a flat flange 8 bolt. Even the register hole is ok. The motor mounts will work. The exhaust is the biggest issue and even that you should be able to use a poly y pipe. Not sure about the engine accessory brackets or radiator hoses.
Brian

Thanks. That's what wanted to hear. The motor already has alternator and brackets in place. So shouldn't have any issues with that. The power steering pump has brackets still attached to it hanging/tied to frame rail. I think it shouldn't be to hard to mount up to block.
Car already has 2.5 true duals on it already from last owner.
Already knew biggest issue would be hooking up from the manifolds to existing pipes.
From all replies got here should be good to go in a couple weeks.

Racer Brown has new Weiand aluminum 4 barrel manifolds for a 65 Poly. I doubt your torque convertor will work. They changed crank register diameters in 1968, check before you try to install it. Do you know what trans you have?

-
Back