Poly Torsion Bar Boots

-

bmxican

Mopar Aficionado
Reaction score
OK, so I am almost done assembling the front end on my Barracuda.

I bought a set of poly torsion bar boots from Energy Suspension, I could not get those things to slide on, no matter how hard I tried.

I just bought a set from Summit made by Prothane Motion Control, and they look very similar to the Energy Suspension ones. I'm afraid I'm going to have the same problem with these.

Has anyone else used these? Any luck getting them on?

And I can't seem to locate some stock rubber ones either.

Any help or input is appreciated, thanks!

The poly ones can be pretty hard to get on, but all the rubber ones I see anymore cost a fortune.

A trick to getting the poly ones on- boil some water, then turn off the heat and toss the poly boots in for a few minutes. Should soften them up and make them more pliable until they cool off again. Haven't done it myself, but I've heard its pretty much the only way to get those poly boots on.

OK, so I am almost done assembling the front end on my Barracuda.

I bought a set of poly torsion bar boots from Energy Suspension, I could not get those things to slide on, no matter how hard I tried.

I just bought a set from Summit made by Prothane Motion Control, and they look very similar to the Energy Suspension ones. I'm afraid I'm going to have the same problem with these.

Has anyone else used these? Any luck getting them on?

And I can't seem to locate some stock rubber ones either.

Any help or input is appreciated, thanks!
I'm looking for a pair of torsion bar boots. LMK if you want to sell your Energy Suspension ones.

i have installed 2 sets of poly torsion bar boots and it seems to me the only way to do it is to have 2 people, one to hold the bar/push it towards the one trying to shove the boot over the end. It is just hard enough i could not find away to have enough leverage to do it by myself. I did try warming them up first but was still a no go by myself. just grab a buddy and you wil have them on in no time.

i have installed 2 sets of poly torsion bar boots and it seems to me the only way to do it is to have 2 people, one to hold the bar/push it towards the one trying to shove the boot over the end. It is just hard enough i could not find away to have enough leverage to do it by myself. I did try warming them up first but was still a no go by myself. just grab a buddy and you wil have them on in no time.

That means I will have to take off the LCA's in order to be able to slide the torsion bars in from the front. I'll give it a try, thanks.

PS: I'm sending the Energy Suspension ones back. Thanks!

Did you ever get those seals on. I did battle with mine last night and finally conquered them. I had to shove on one end of the torsion bar with my knee and use both hands on the other end with the boot seal. That was after about an hour of struggling.

I got the poly ones to work way easy, here is how:

1) set the poly bushing facing up on a block of wood or flat concrete.
2) grease the hell out of it.
3) insert the torsion bar standing up.
4) smack the top if it with a 4 lb. sledge hammer, hard.
5) done, now celebrate with a 6 pack!

You guys are making way too much work out of it. They are just boots. They just keep the road gunk out of the torsion bar sockets. They don't have to be poly. The rubber ones work just fine.

the reason the poly ones sold were costs. prior to PST making the post up there I haven't seen the rubber factory type for less than $30 in forever. And BMXican's technique actually works as well as submerging in very hot water.

I used an old funnel, trimmed down to act like a cone over the end of the bar. The shape strecthes the opening and allows them to slide on. I tried the whole heating water trick and it made no diffrence, so I did the heated water trick plus the cone and it worked.....

-
Back