Polycarbonate windows

-

tiltedsix

Reaction score
hello, 1972 Scamp'...looking to replace all glass with polycarbonate ''Lexan preformed windows...half the weight as glass....& installs like normal glass..does any body know were to purchase....I've only found one place in Chicago "Pro Glass'...and can't find any prices ....it looks like they got a Duster windsheild in stock but no prices

Attachments

• DSCF4683.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 146
The side glass is easy to make. Just buy sheets big enough for the individual pieces, take out the glass, trace an outline and cut it out. I did this for my driver side window before I found an actual replacement. The front and rear would be harder to make because of the compound curves, although with a thin enough piece you could just bolt it in place and it should form to the curves of the windshield frame.

If this is a street car you might want to check the legality of running lexan for a windshield, most states don't allow it.

Poly scratches too easily for a windshield on a street car, wipers will wreak havoc on it. Keep this in mind if you decide to have roll up side windows, they will scratch on the window guides. Also, your Scamp doors do not have full window frames so you may need to brace the poly as it is more flexible than glass and will tend to push out at speed.
I plan on poly side windows on my 65 Belvedere, but it is a post car and has full frames around the windows making things a lot easier for me. The rear windows will be fixed in place (no regulators). I am still on the fence about making the front windows functional.
You can get poly at places like Lowes, Home Depot, etc. It is used for door 'glass' replacement. Not certain if these are the best sources, but it is a start.

As a racing safety inspector, you need to know that they present a safety issue. You can't bust out Lexan in an emergency for an escape path if the car flips over. Believe me, you won't be able to, nor will anyone coming to your aid be able to get them out. Responsible race organizations require quick release pins on such windows. Don't create a death trap for yourself and thing this out.

If this is a street car you might want to check the legality of running lexan for a windshield, most states don't allow it.

How would they know?

I looked into pro Glass. I wish I still had the email with the prices. He recommended to me on a street car to only do the front and rear glass, not the sides. He said you don't use the wipers, rather a water treatment. I tried this on my dart and it works. I rarely use the wipers anymore, the water just rolls off.

There is also race glass and street glass. The thickness is the difference. The front and rear are molded glass too.

-
Back