Polyurethane or Polygraphite?

-

67ragtop

Reaction score
I am a new member to this site and I am in need of some technical help. I am completing a disc brake swap from a 74 abody to my 67 barracuda convertible. What is the difference between polygraphite and polyurethane bushings? Has anyone here completed the swap, because I am wondering about the mounting tab for the sway bar?
Thanks

Polygraphite has graphite impregnated into them to help keep them from squeeking. Poly anything makes for a very rough ride. If your gonna go poly get the polygraphite or you'll go nuts from the squeeks.

I never posted a thread before so this is all new to me. I didn't know I could go back and search old threads. Seems like not everyone is sure that poly anything are good. Do you suggest certain parts use poly and other ones use rubber? Do you know anything about the sway bar tab?

My kit from PST sent L clips that mounted to the lower shack bolt on my 71 dart, unsure how it would be for your car but would assume close to the same. Ya, poly makes for a VERY firm ride, but also very precise if your into hard core road racing kinda stuff, (mountain roads, slalom races, skid pad, drifting, etc) if your running anything other than a stock seat (ie RCI plastic seat or simialar racing seat) your butt WILL hurt after any long periods of driving (more than a half hour) also even the graphite ones squeek a little if you don't lube them up well. I have read that the uppers should be poly but that the main lower control arm bushing should be kept stock (something about permanent deformation of the bushing in extreme cases) I know that my pst kit sent the rubber lowers also, don't know if they still do that or not, just ask when you order. Also if you have or are getting a sway bar you'll want poly for that. All in all, I love the performance of the polys but for a regular everyday driver, not the way to go. PST also sends a video with its kits to help guide you thru the process if your going to DIY.

FWIW, the front end in my 68 Barracuda was relatively new with stock rubber bushings. When I did the 73-76 disk brake swap I rebuilt the doner parts with polygraphite bushings. I saw no appreciable improvement in the handling compared to the rubber bushings and the ride was not appreciable harder either.

But, within a couple of months the strut rod bushings were squeaking like and old clunker, it was embrassing to drive into a cruise with the car. You could lube them and it would stop for awhile but would come right back. I swapped back to rubber bushings.

I would venture a guess that the folks that see a big improvement in the handling with poly bushings are going from a worn out front end to an all new one.

I just don't think the poly are worth it and factor in the fact they will likely wear out faster (they slide on the shells and can't be greased easily vs the torsional action of rubber) I would recomend staying with rubber.

1. What is FWIW????

2. No, your guess would be mistaken. My 71 had a good solid front susspension when I made the switch, also went from a nice comfy bench seat to RCI racing seats after the front was rebuilt. I did notice a difference in both instances, improvement in handling response and overall road feel and harsher ride. I took all the parts out (after a mishap with the car where a metal posted highway sign won a dispute on what object would occupy what space at a given moment in time) and the car handles as excellent as the 71 did when I originally put it together. I am not saying they won''t wear or that you'll be able to get 20 years out of them, but in there defense, rubber is pretty hailed after ten years also unless you never drive the vehicle. Just facts from my expierence. And I do like to drive my Darts, to qoute a term, "Like I stole it" :)

I recomend rubber for a daily driver or for the guy who wants comfort, not looking for max performance. But if you like to get out to the ragged edge of performance, poly does make a difference.

Thank you, that one has been bugging me for a long time and I could never figure out what the heck it meant.

Late to the thread, but heres my 2 cents.........

I used the graphite stuff and love it to death. Not a squeak or anything. They tightened up a sloopy front end right nice, I couldn't believe it!

-
Back