poor a** rebuilds?

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
don't laugh! O K laugh if ya wanna! back when I was younger and not a pretty much retired poor ***, I would order a complete rebuild kit and do it all in new parts.
I have a small collection of mostly early A bodies and they are my toys. goal is always to get them roadworthy. used engines, trans, you know, the low buck approach!
I have access to several good shops that will give good advice as to condition of front end as to what I have. question is about lower control arm bushings. can they tell if good or is it a must to take them off to check condition?
if I had just one car i would order a complete kit , assuming they are not Chinese crap. I used PST , for instance, kits 10 yrs ago and back with good results. if the parts from PST and others is not US made I rather hunt on feebay or elsewhere for U S parts.
two of my cars I can tell have had new upper and lower ball joints put on by PO. I would say, ALL these old cars with old upper A arm bushings would definitely need new and best choice , offset bushings?.

Good luck finding Made in USA suspension parts. Moog and TRW haven't been made in USA for several years. I would use PST. They sponsor our web, and they give us a 10% discount. I trust that they sell the best parts they can get. At any rate, I'd bet their stuff is way better than the store brand junk you get at places like Auto Zone and Advance Auto.

I agree harrism, PST for a retail vendor or look on feebay for made in America parts. I was afraid Moog and TRW had gone Chineese like the rest of our world. sad.
I work bout 18 hrs a week on golf course mowing ruff, ( parts $$ ???), 1 yr ago the mech. rebuilt the front suspension on a 1/2 t ford 4 wd pickup, they used it on the course last winter cleaning fence rows for several months. it ain't THAT rough! his rebuild lasted 1 yr!!! other than that it gets driven down the highway to course across interstate which is bout 20 mi round trip! ha China! ha!

It's not just import parts. I have a 98 Ford ranger 2wd with LESS THAN 90K miles. This pickup has not been abused, IE no rough back country mud/ roads, etc The rubber boots on all the ball joints are split wide open. Bear in mind they are NOT worn out, it drives "just fine." I have no idea how to deal with this.

It's not just import parts. I have a 98 Ford ranger 2wd with LESS THAN 90K miles. This pickup has not been abused, IE no rough back country mud/ roads, etc The rubber boots on all the ball joints are split wide open. Bear in mind they are NOT worn out, it drives "just fine." I have no idea how to deal with this.
Energy suspension makes urethane boots in red and black that last!
i39127-jpg.1714919645

Do the joints have grease fittings? I myself would not go through the trouble of replacing the boots on a front end with 90 K without replacing the joints. I would just keep them greased to push out water and debris until I did rebuild the front end.

-
Back