POOR MAN'S HINGE REPAIR

-
I do appreciate a good DY repair, too. And also, having sent hinges to Leo for a friend's early A and seeing the end result I can say that he's truly the master of his craft.

Hi Folks

Started out with a pair of old, rusty and sloppy hinges. Picked out a couple of long 3/8 bolts from the parts bin and got a hold of a 3/8 reamer.
View attachment 1715863946
I disassembled the hinges and ran them through the bead cabinet. Gave them a good inspection and didn't find any cracks and the springs looked good. I soaked (evaporust) the hinge portion with the wheels to clean out the rust as I couldn't remove the wheels. Once that was finished, I worked the wheels with penetrating oil 'til they moved freely. Reamed the sloppy holes to size.

Next, I went to work on the bolts. I rounded off the heads and filed a convex into it to take away the "bolty" look, cut them to length, and hit the neck with some chisel marks to act as knurling to facilitate the "press in".

View attachment 1715863947

Before assembly, the bolts (now pins) were case hardened with a torch. Heat them up red hot, quench them in oil, clean them, heat them up blue hot (just before red), and quench them in water.......Watch the file skip right across.

Reassemble and press the new pins in......No bushings and tight as a drum.

View attachment 1715863948
Didn't cost me a cent as I had all of the **** in my shop. LOL.....I'm getting more creative the poorer I get!:thumbsup:

View attachment 1715863931

View attachment 1715863933

View attachment 1715863941

I know this is an old post but is a carbide reamer required for this or will high speed steel get the job done?

I've drilled them to use the next size larger, commonly available bolt, with cheap K Mart drill bits.

-
Back