pop out quarter window rebuild?

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Somewhere I saw a video of the quarter window rebuild where the removal of the glass required the studs to be drilled out and replaced with rivets??? Can't seem to locate it now?? Has anybody done that and where did you find a rivet with the correct grip range?? Thanks.....

Is there really a point of taking them apart as you can't buy new seals for the quarter windows.

Riddler

If the seals have only shrunk and gapping, there is a fix.
When you take the things apart, use clamps to stretch and hold the rubber in place while you glue it in the frame with black polyurethane roofing sealant.
Get it a Lowe's Depot in a caulking tube.
It works good. I've done it and it will never come loose.

I was able to buy new seals for my 1/4 windows. Have they stopped making them?
C

He didn't say anything about seals. He needs to get the glass out of the assembly and the way to do that is disassemble the frame which is held together with a rivet in the top and bottom corners.

Frame also has to come apart if you choose to replace the non-rubber, flocked plastic 'seal' where the glass is hinged.

Last edited:
He didn't say anything about seals. He needs to get the glass out of the assembly and the way to do that is disassemble the frame which is held together with a rivet in the top and bottom corners.

Frame also has to come apart if you choose to replace the non-rubber, flocked plastic 'seal' where the glass is hinged.
is that flocked plastic seal available new

is that flocked plastic seal available new

There are reproductions available currently for B-bodies and are described as working for A-Bodies too. They must be trimmed to length. I've not seen them in person to compare. The originals were left and right specific. The B-body repros are not. 8 years ago I found NOS pieces - a small miracle - and paid for the miracle.

Here's an example: Restoration Specialties and Supply, Inc. - Search Results for "CHRY32230"

The illustration looks different than the actual piece, so I'm not sure. They might be fine. Not cheap, but less than what I paid...

seal02img_01.jpg

hingeimg_01.jpg

seal03img_01.jpg

Last edited:
I used the part linked above to Restoration Specialties on my Duster.
C

I've written about it... Short pop rivet - one in from each side instead of the single factory rivet all the way through.

Misc. Stuff - 1970 Plymouth Big Block Duster Project
Very good write up. I'm in the process of doing this right now. My glass frame "L" bracket pieces were very rusty, also places on the "U" channel frame . I took mine apart and media blasted the "U" channel frame then painted it with a rust inhibitor paint. For the chrome vertical piece, I used duct tape to protect the outer chrome, and media blasted just the end "L" brackets, then coated them with a rust inhibitor paint.

For the latches, I removed the roll pin from the latch arm where it connects to the frame bracket, cleaned and repainted them with a black vinyl interior type paint. I too am reusing the gaskets, I washed them in soapy water then cleaned and dried them, then used armoral to coat them. they were still very flexable. When you put the gaskets back in you'll probably have to stretch them and use glue to hold them in place.

Good info on the glass pivot pieces - R/T specialities CHRY32230. mine too are toast but I reused them.

The Mopar part number for the gaskets is 2965-640 and 641. Classic Industries are out of stock, Steele Rubber part number 70-2426-76 say they will be avail in June 2016 for $164.80.

Steve C.

Does anyone know where to buy the spacer that goes on the handle of the quarter window? The little black one that goes between the cap and glass that the handle attaches to.

-
Back