Popping while turning after complete overhaul.

-

Liquidspine

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I hope everyone's Christmas and New Years was a blast!

I have a popping question on a..... 1970 340 Dart Swinger.

I just recently had everything under the front end replaced except.....
the torsion bars, lower control arms, and spindles with new parts. I put on Hotchkis sway bars front and rear, all new poly bushings, shocks, ball joints, etc....

Now one question I have and correct me if im wrong but.... the guys swear my car was a slant 6 and someone put the motor in it later.
The thing is I have the build sheet that says its a 340. All the numbers from my vin my finder tag and build sheet match. and all say its a 340.
So the guys that did my car had to order an A arm and it came with the lager ball joint ( he said he ordered it for a 340) so they sent my spindles out to get drilled out bigger to fit the larger joint but....

Didn't all 340s in 1970 come with the smaller joints?

All that being said. I'm getting a popping turning hard left and right.

Could this be because they reamed my spindles?

The small ball joint goes along with the sbp. Sounds like they sent you the larger bolt pattern from the BBP for the 73+ models.

Yep that sounds like it ^^^^^

The 73 and later cars used a larger ball joint and the upper control arm was a little different.

You should have put on the early small ball joint upper control arm.

This is probably where your problem is coming from.

Yeah and they drilled the spindles post holes to fit the bigger ones. Could that be the popping?

Get a refund and learn how to work on your own car.

And when they put in my heart valve in wrong i'll get a refund and open myself up! Because I have sooooo much time!

The guys you took the car to know NOTHING about Mopar A-bodies and should refund a good portion of what you paid them (I do occasional front end work and am completely offended at what these shop charge to rebuild a front end - my rebuilds include a hot tanked and painted k-member). If they reamed the taper properly you might be ok, if they drilled a hole the spindle (or spindles) is junk. Check around with other Mopar guys in your area for somebody better to take the car to...

Disc brakes or drum? If drum finding replacements are easy. If they are the KH disc spindles that is a little harder to find. Your also going to need two small joint upper A arms.

I called the guys this morning and they were nice about it. They said if it was wrong they would fix it. Now we will see about refunds but.... im thinking instead of refund I'll try to get upgraded parts, maybe tubular A arms, better shocks.... I don't know. Suggestions?

And when they put in my heart valve in wrong i'll get a refund and open myself up! Because I have sooooo much time!

You certainly chose the right username. I give you that.

If you need a set of the small ball joint UCAs, drop me a PM. Can have them for the cost of shipping.

I called the guys this morning and they were nice about it. They said if it was wrong they would fix it. Now we will see about refunds but.... im thinking instead of refund I'll try to get upgraded parts, maybe tubular A arms, better shocks.... I don't know. Suggestions?

I would get the money thing figured out, or they can take you for a ride.

Charge you more for fixing what they screwed up in the first place...

You've given them an open door to charge more money if you haven't gotten then to agree to fix it for free.

Now if you fix it with stock parts, it should be fixed for free. If you upgrade to tubular, now they have an "in" to charge you more money for the "upgrade"....

Be careful....

KrazyKuda, My intentions are for them to not only fix it for free but to get a refund for all the parts and labor I never needed in the first place. I will make sure they understand that.

-
Back