pops van wont start

-

DusterBoy15

THE WISE(guy) MEMBER
Reaction score
ok the last time this happened it was the starter relay but we fixed that, but now the same thing happened and i replaced the relay again but nothing. nothing comes on, not the raido or the head lights and we cant get it. and its not the battery. the only thing that comes on is the inside door reflector and it only comes on when the key is in the cranking position please help

It sounds like a bad connection sure enough. And when you talking about a bad connection it could be alot of things to check out. Switch,fuse box, bad ground, etc..

I used to know a fellow years ago who owned a 92ish Dodge truck that it would crank right up when cold, but would not start up until it got cold again. Another words he could not shut it off if he went inside some where and had to wait until he got home to shut it off. He took it to the Dodge place and they could not fix it! They gave up and said "Sorry we don't know what causing it!" The trucks warranty was up on that particular system of the truck. I don't know if he ever got it fixed or not.

Have you tried resetting the computer?

If the headlights and brake lights wont work there is a loose connection. Most likely battery cables. Check the ground wire at the block too. Then on to the smaller gauge wires like fusable link.
Wait this an Astro van or Aerostar ? Just kidding :)
Good luck

It sounds like a bad connection sure enough. And when you talking about a bad connection it could be alot of things to check out. Switch,fuse box, bad ground, etc..

I used to know a fellow years ago who owned a 92ish Dodge truck that it would crank right up when cold, but would not start up until it got cold again. Another words he could not shut it off if he went inside some where and had to wait until he got home to shut it off. He took it to the Dodge place and they could not fix it! They gave up and said "Sorry we don't know what causing it!" The trucks warranty was up on that particular system of the truck. I don't know if he ever got it fixed or not.

Have you tried resetting the computer?

My brothers 93 Mustang had a similar bug. Brand new battery would spin it over great but wouldn't start it. It wouldn't power up the fuel pump relay etc.. The battery AND a 50 amp boost would. Did 5 or 6 times before it failed completely. New computer fixed it.

Check the pos . cable connection at the starter with a test light and then check the juice to the starter relay. follow the fire with a test light till you find the breakdown

Since nothing works (radio, lights, etc...) it has to have lost main power somewhere. The computer won't cause this. I have seen this problem at the bulkhead connector quite often. The bulkhead is the block on the firewall that has a bunch of wires feeding through it. They are bad about corroding and loosing connection. Check the battery first to make sure it didn't die then check the battery cable connections on both ends, if you don't see anything there check the bulkhead connector.

ok the battery is fine becasue i used mine out of the duster... but maybe the heads on the battery connections are bad???? becasue the wire actullay go into them or maybe i should sand them down or something? becasue even when i tighteb the cables nothing happens

Is it possible you have the wrong relay or hooked the wires up wrong or forgot to put a wire on or the relay is not grounded.

I would say bulk head main wire is corroded or burnt in half under the wire insolation. Check for 12 volts ate the fuse box.

A bad amp gauge can disconnect the system too.

ok so i did a little work today and.... when i bridge the relay with a wire from one prong to the other everything works,and the relay will click when trying to crank, but wont crank. but when i take it off the wire that is. the headlights work now but no more clicking of the relay so its....electrical but i dont know what it is....igniton swtich???? starter solonoid???? starter???? i have no clue

and when i try to crank it is when some things come on without bridgeing the relay/...is it the igniton switch?

ok so van works now....it was the starter
which means that if you take your starter in and it passes.....it might still be bad becasue ours passed and it was still bad

Starters can develope a "dead spot" on the commutator...my 70 duster's did. It drove me crazy til I tried a spare and it cured the problem. It would start about half the time, the other half it wouldn't turn over at all. The funniest one was a ricer who detailed his engine compartment. He even painted the battery post and connectors. He couldn't get a thing out of it. I scraped off the neg post and terminal, car fired up. The car had sat for a week at the repair shop...go figure!

-
Back