POR-15 horror.

-

jeryst

Reaction score
I pulled the interior out of my 68 GTS to look at the floor pans. Very nice shape, but had some surface rust, so I decided to paint them with POR-15.

After doing the job, it was starting to get dark out, and I dont have electricity in my garage, so I cleaned up and left.

The next day, I went into the garage, and much to my horror, saw a large splash (about 4-6 inches across) of POR-15 running down my door. I realized that in the dim light, I must have tilted the can a little when getting out of the car, and the liquid around the rim of the can had poured down onto the door.

So anyway, I was really pissed, because the paint is fairly new and still pretty nice. Not knowing what else to do, I experimentally scratched the dried POR-15 with my fingernail, and some of it came off. The paint underneath looked unharmed, so I grabbed a razor blade and worked it under the splotch. Carefully, I lifted the POR-15, and slowly pulled it off. It came off in one big piece, leaving the paint underneath unharmed.

Must have been the wax that kept it from bonding, but makes me wonder just how well it protects the metal it is applied to, if the metal already has paint on it.

When using POR 15, I sand blast the area and etch it with acid.
I think the directions say it is for bare metal that has been etched.

I have found that, even a day later, I have been able to scratch some of it off. It probably wasn't fully cured yet, that and the wax saved you.

"Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape!"

LOL!!

I had some run down on my paint under the tailamp housing, and did not see it until the next day. It would not come off! You got lucky.

Got me on that one too.

probably harder to get off the skin than the paint of the door.

yOU DID LUCK OUT.

I used it on a '72 340 Demon that came out of Appleton Wisconsin and had quite a bit of hidden rust. I did both sides from the tail panel to the firewall and got it in my hair and on both forearms. LOL. That stuff is Badass but will stay on your skin for several weeks or months. Praise god you had wax on.
:munky2:

I can't even imagine being that lucky :-D

They have differnt products but the one I use is intended to go over rust not painted areas

Someone applied it to my 68 Barracuda after they installed new floorpans. It did not stick!! I took a blower and the sh*t blew right off. That is where the new pans were installed. Looks like they scuffed the new steel but did not acid etch it! ALWAYS acid etch first!! Of course that is after you clean thoroughly! It did stick everywhere else that it was applied. Now I have to grind most of it off and reapply. Por-`5 works good when applied properly. Good luck!

damn i had a feeling you were gonna say you spilled some in the car. you got lucky the wax saved that @ss. Glad it came out alright.

I use POR-15 regularly and it will not bond to just anything. Etched, sandlblasted, distressed etc surfaces that are free of any scale or dirt or greese will hold it till the end of time and that goes double for you skin.

Still, U lucky bastard! -LY

Be happy you didn't get any on your "package" I have heard quite a few interesting stories about that happening:-D

-
Back