porting magnum heads

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
I was thinking of gasket matching my Magnum heads and Intake before I put them on the car. And possibly bowl blend. What are things I should do, Look out for, And not do. Im looking to make these heads flow around 250cfm at around .500 lift. Until I can get some edelbrocks or make these flow jsut as well. And I know I will have to take my time with this not to mess up. and becasue they dont have the templates any more I need some guidence

I gave BJR a set of Magnum heads just to experiment with. His results were not to bad for a firstouting. I don't know where he posted up the numbers, but the weren't to bad with moderate work on them.

A multi angled valve job with opening up the bowl was very good. IIRC, cutting down the guide didn't do as well as he hope or expected. The port matching was only a few cfm but does go a long way for a good inlet path, unobstructed flow. No fuel crashing into the head and reforming into droplets for crappy burning.

I don't think 250 cfm is easy with these heads, but a good 230 shouldn't be a wild headache to achieve. You can turn out some decent power with less flow and of course the port volume would be smaller for a better higher velocity head.

you said 230 should be easy? but in his flow numbers he said they flowed 235 from you out of the box.

I was thinking 200 - 210 stock flow.
You found the thread? Good. Read up on it and you'll be way ahead of the game.
I can't remember exactly what he said. But I remember talking to him on the phone about it.

ya, but his flowed 230 stock out of the box from u with nothing done. That was his starting point

You know what, I think I might just keep these heads the way they are And ither save up for the EQ Magnums with 2.02 intake or 1.92 intake Or Just go with the Edelbrocks. The EQs flow 227 at .500 but I dont know with which valve.

Well, if the head started with 230 cfm, getting another 20 should be doable at home no? I was thinking that getting 20 cfm at home with what I was saying, bowl porting and such, would be doable without major effort.

I myself would keep the smaller valve for a couple of reasons. Velocity, simplicty, save money vs. new valve purchase.

Off to re-read the thread above.

-
Back