possible alternative to Alterkation

-
Has anyone actually installed a Mustang II based IFS into a Mopar?

Greg

With my F-body, I'm "rolling my own".... as we used to say.. with an Industrial Chassis Dakota crossmember.

attachment.php

Greg

Has anyone actually installed a Mustang II based IFS into a Mopar?

Greg

Likely, but it makes little sense (I stand behind upgraded factory pieces). If you're doing it for disc brakes and header clearance, fine, but let's hope you know suspension geometry and have a chassis jig when welding 'er into frame rails...

Bill Reilly took all the hard-work out already with the Alter-K-Tion, simple as that.

Not to rain on anyones parade because it's been hashed out here many times, but in a word, YES, the factory, and at no extra charge to anyone that owns a muscle era Mopar.
Better suspension parameters than contemporary offerings from ANYONE ELSE, including the much touted MustangII (actually very, very, similar and why not, Ford designers had the smarts to copy a good thing, fourteen years after the fact later).
You want to really improve the handling of these cars? Try minor reinforcement of the basic structure, proper selection upgraded parts (both factory and aftermarket) paying close attention to spring, shock, steering, and stabilizer rates, and upgrading of wheels, tires, and brakes, then design and install a compatible independent rear suspension because, arguably, that's where redesigning of the suspension would make the greatest change, mostly because IRS lets you radically reduce the the rear unsprung weight (if you want to be really radical, spring said IRS with torsion bars). You could end up with something very nearly the equal of virtually any modern ultra high performance car.
It's all been done before people, just look at what the factory was doing in the 60's and 70's if you need inspiration.
I find it amazing how people think they need to throw the baby out with the bath water when thinking just a little outside the box (and maybe a custom built set of headers) when packaging the engine and it's components would get the job done.

I wouldn't go anywhere near a "universal" kit like that. Just buy a rms set up and be done with it.

Abodyjoe I think I'm with ya. I do want that alter k setup. Just gotta buy my time. Ha 318 is still fun till I get the hemi in. Besides hemi has alot of parts I can get in mean time.

Thanks for input all

HemiDenny (member here) makes a nice piece as well as RMS. Quality wise, I think the two are comparible. Denny's is a little more leg work and more designed for the do it yourselfer, but still, a nice quality piece. The price is what made my decision, but as of right now, personally, I would not consider anyone else except those two. If you are lookig to upgrade to coil overs and stay cheaper, using the factor K-Frame, PM Badart, He has made a kit to do that.

I got the alterktion in my 65 and i wouldnt go any other way. I looked into the magnumforce one which is nice but waaaaaaay to much $. They are real proud of their chit.

-
Back