possible downshifting issues????

-

duster360

Reaction score
My 4 speed ( non OD ) had some issues when I got it. I had to replace 3rd and 4th gear. Also replaced the brass stop rings and all bearings. It upshifts great, downshifts from 4th to to 3rd very good. When going from 3rd to 2nd seems like I have to slow way down to get it to go in. At what speed should it downshift in 2nd from 3rd.

If the syncros etc are in good shape AND the clutch is actually releasing clean, you should be able to stuff it into gear at very high speed. This is NOT recommended. I've done it "accidently" back in the day but did not get the clutch engaged, thank the Lord and Luck.

Remember, if you go from say, 4th at high speed, to second, that clutch disc is going to be going UNbeLIEVEably fast!!

If the syncros etc are in good shape AND the clutch is actually releasing clean, you should be able to stuff it into gear at very high speed. This is NOT recommended. I've done it "accidently" back in the day but did not get the clutch engaged, thank the Lord and Luck.

Remember, if you go from say, 4th at high speed, to second, that clutch disc is going to be going UNbeLIEVEably fast!!

I have to slow down to probably 20 mph or less to downshift to second. What is the issue that causes this problem?

I thought I just told you. Generally syncros or clutch

Could also be bell to block misalignment, binding in pilot bushing, etc.

Downshifting isn't necessary. Unless your doing autocross or on a road course. If just street driving its over kill unless your going to pass someone. These a bodies are light. Downshifting to slow down is just extra strain on the engine. thats what brakes are for. Ive had my A833 rebuilt and notice that i sometimes cant go from 2nd to 1st above 15mph or so. But you gotta think 2nd isnt really a passing gear. At normal cruising youd more than likely be in 4th. If went to pass by going down in 3rd should enable you to. Also gotta think, 4th to 3rd is a straight shot, going from 3rd to 2nd requires the shifter to go in three different directions, down over then down. Also are your linkages adjusted correctly? Seems i have to adjust them every year, i can tell because when i shift from 4th to 3rd i can hear a slight grinding sound then i know its time to adjust

Don't want to downshift to slow down. I sometimes need to downshift going around turns and up hills in my neighborhood and others.

Syncros wear if RPM is not matched for selected gear, and if the RPM is properly matched syncros, not really needed. Quick shifting often works well, to avoid problems.

Good shifting requires confidence and precise coordination in timing, of throttle, clutch and shift lever. Bad habits that work with some cars, are often hard to change when driving a different car. It has something to do with muscle memory.

-
Back