Possible original 67 barracuda

-

JohnFM3

Reaction score
I just got back home from looking at a 67 Barracuda Notchback for sale.

I have some questions.

The car is badged a Formula S, but looks as if its running a 170 cid Slant Six. I thought all formula s packages were running the 273 commando v-8. I sit possible to be a slant six?

Originally it was a Auto Tranny car, someone cut thru the upper cross member to install a manual 3 sp tranny. Is this something worth keeping, or should I fix an go back to the 727 auto? The factory steering colum still in the car.

The car has a very different hood with no center hump, but 2 pieces of metal going from front to back about half the length of the hood. Possibly from a 69? Can anyone help identify this?

Factory Tach gauge next to speed-o. All the interior is match red. Assuming car is factory slant six with auto, was a tach something that would be installed? Never seen in any of my 70's dusters/darts with slant 6.

It looks as if it may be a running a 7 3/4 rear axle with small bolt pattern wheels.

It has some rust, an needs help with the cross member, but its everything I wanted with the slant six.

John :prayer:

Did you take any pictures?

formula s, not thinking so.... did you get the information from the fender tag? That will help you identify options for that particular car.

I just got back home from looking at a 67 Barracuda Notchback for sale.

I have some questions.

The car is badged a Formula S, but looks as if its running a 170 cid Slant Six. I thought all formula s packages were running the 273 commando v-8. I sit possible to be a slant six?

Originally it was a Auto Tranny car, someone cut thru the upper cross member to install a manual 3 sp tranny. Is this something worth keeping, or should I fix an go back to the 727 auto? The factory steering colum still in the car.

The car has a very different hood with no center hump, but 2 pieces of metal going from front to back about half the length of the hood. Possibly from a 69? Can anyone help identify this?

Factory Tach gauge next to speed-o. All the interior is match red. Assuming car is factory slant six with auto, was a tach something that would be installed? Never seen in any of my 70's dusters/darts with slant 6.

It looks as if it may be a running a 7 3/4 rear axle with small bolt pattern wheels.

It has some rust, an needs help with the cross member, but its everything I wanted with the slant six.

1968 hood ornaments, '68 drivers door, '68 header panel. VIN # would help alot. Only 2 engines for Formula-S in '67 were the 273 & 383. That hood came on every Barracuda built from '67-'68 (except for the Super Stock Hemi's).

If it has factory tach for 67, the sweep pattern on the needle starts around 7 oclock and goes to around 4 oclock. I think for 67 formula s there should be a 7 under the "F". I could be wrong as mine is a 69 and I get the years mixed up, but the 5th digit in the vin should be P for 340 and H for 383. Is the steering column for floor shift or column shift?? If it is a true "S" car I believe it should have floor shifter, whether its an auto or 4 spd....I cant see someone turning a "S" car into a /6??? Post more pics/info when you can

Tach was optional

mine 67 Formula S had a tach the 67 273 2 barrel coupe had a vacumn gauge

sisters 67 Formula S fastback & other slant 6 67 coupe had a vacumn gauge also

Seen some without either tach or vacumn gauge

if fender tag is there get pencil rub or write down info to decode it.

Sisters 67 Formula S was 273 auto with 3.23 suregrip 8 3/4", once I got done with it is was a 318 with 7 1/4" and mine was a 273 HIPO with 8 3/4" hehehehe

1968 hood ornaments, '68 drivers door, '68 header panel. VIN # would help alot. Only 2 engines for Formula-S in '67 were the 273 & 383. That hood came on every Barracuda built from '67-'68 (except for the Super Stock Hemi's).

Ok, I have to know, what clues you in on the fact that the above parts are 68? The person I am buying from is a ford an chevy guy. Is it possible this is a late 67 which would be sold as a 68?

Also, what is the header panel?

Another question: Is the Formula S Fenders special? If I remove the badges, will they look like factory fenders, or do I need to replace these with the factory ones?

I really don't, want this to be tachy looking.

John

Another question: Is the Formula S Fenders special? If I remove the badges, will they look like factory fenders, or do I need to replace these with the factory ones?

I really don't, want this to be tachy looking.

John

All of the sheet metal is the same between a Formula S and a normal Barracuda. (except for the rear valance)

You could simply remove the emblems and weld the holes.

If you could get the fender tag info or vin we could give you a bit more info on the car.

All of the sheet metal is the same between a Formula S and a normal Barracuda. (except for the rear valance)

You could simply remove the emblems and weld the holes.

If you could get the fender tag info or vin we could give you a bit more info on the car.

Yeah, I know. I will get the vin # asap. Maybe this wed, but most likely this next weekend.

John

The fender tag and/or broadcast sheet will tell you for sure but there are some things that have to be there to be a Formula S. Some of these items could have been changed but originally they would have had:
Front sway bar with #892 and #893 torsion bars.
A cutout in the left side of the rear valance for the exhaust tip
6 leaf rear springs
150 speedometer with a thread-on cable
a 7 under the F on the fender tag
an E as the 5th digit of the VIN
14 X 5 1/2" wheels
Formula S emblems about a foot up from the bottom of the dog leg on the fenders.
Either a 273 4bbl or 383 4bbl engine.

A tach was optional but not available on a 6cyl car.

The fender tag and/or broadcast sheet will tell you for sure but there are some things that have to be there to be a Formula S. Some of these items could have been changed but originally they would have had:
Front sway bar with #892 and #893 torsion bars.
A cutout in the left side of the rear valance for the exhaust tip
6 leaf rear springs
150 speedometer with a thread-on cable
a 7 under the F on the fender tag
an E as the 5th digit of the VIN
14 X 5 1/2" wheels
Formula S emblems about a foot up from the bottom of the dog leg on the fenders.
Either a 273 4bbl or 383 4bbl engine.

A tach was optional but not available on a 6cyl car

There is s tach used on 6 cyl cars and V8 cars. The 6 cylinder were to be export only but with thMa Mopar you will never know what will show up.

Here are the part numbers I have.

6 cyl.----1967 2822556 1968 & 1969 2926019
V8--- 1967 2771656 1968 & 1969 2857729

There is s tach used on 6 cyl cars and V8 cars. The 6 cylinder were to be export only but with thMa Mopar you will never know what will show up.

Here are the part numbers I have.

6 cyl.----1967 2822556 1968 & 1969 2926019
V8--- 1967 2771656 1968 & 1969 2857729

Ya beat me to the punch Bill!! I dont have 67 parts manual but my 68 and 69 #'s match yours!! That is super useful info by the way!!

Ok, I have to know, what clues you in on the fact that the above parts are 68? The person I am buying from is a ford an chevy guy. Is it possible this is a late 67 which would be sold as a 68?

Also, what is the header panel?

The '67 & '68 hood ornaments are different but both bolt up the same. The ones on this car look like '68s. The placement of the mirror on the door is different on '67s. It is farther forward than whats on this car. The header panel (part the grilles bolt into) is also different. '67 had individual P L Y M O U T H letters across the length of the header panel & '68s have the smaller Plymouth emblem just above the left grille surround.

Attachments

• 67 cuda hood chrome.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 238
  • 68 cuda hood chrome.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 245
  • 68 formula-s hood chrome.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 272
  • 68 header panel.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 230
  • Plymouth_Barracuda__1967_Wallpaper_aoyyp.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 231
Thanks for every ones assistance. I found out today that someone bought the car after I looked at it Sun. I am pretty bummed out about it. I will keep looking. The owner was asking $1900, which seemed fair, even with all the issues I saw.

I am at a bit of a toss after learning the info from this thread, as I find that I like qualities of the 68 such as the plymouth badge up front an hood ornaments, but like the cleaner look of the 67 door with the mirors pushed forward. But I really dont want a basket case barracuda of mixed years. I guess these are things to think about as I keep my eye out for one I can afford when I have the cash.

Thank You again to everyone,
John

Thanks for every ones assistance. I found out today that someone bought the car after I looked at it Sun. I am pretty bummed out about it. I will keep looking. The owner was asking $1900, which seemed fair, even with all the issues I saw.

I am at a bit of a toss after learning the info from this thread, as I find that I like qualities of the 68 such as the plymouth badge up front an hood ornaments, but like the cleaner look of the 67 door with the mirors pushed forward. But I really dont want a basket case barracuda of mixed years. I guess these are things to think about as I keep my eye out for one I can afford when I have the cash.

Thank You again to everyone,
John

Bummer $1900 was a deal if it was as solid as it looked. If you look at the 67 mirror you will see that it would have been obstructed by the vent window if the seat was moved far forward. I think 1968 had the best looking tail lights also. There are more crossbred Barracuda's around than you think.
Mine is a 1967, 1968 and 1969. OMG, I have a one of one 1968 Barracuda built with all the left over parts from the 67s and the new parts from the 69s. It was a special prototype car built on a Sunday while the production line was shut down and only the engineers were allowed in the plant. It is equipped with a one only 318XX Hemi and a transmission so rare that they never named it. It was so secret not even the head of Chrysler knew about it. The idea was scrapped when Fox and Martin wouldn't use a convertible but this prototype was quietly slipped out the door. LOL, well it sounded like some of the stories I read on eBay.

Bummer $1900 was a deal if it was as solid as it looked. If you look at the 67 mirror you will see that it would have been obstructed by the vent window if the seat was moved far forward. I think 1968 had the best looking tail lights also. There are more crossbred Barracuda's around than you think.
Mine is a 1967, 1968 and 1969. OMG, I have a one of one 1968 Barracuda built with all the left over parts from the 67s and the new parts from the 69s. It was a special prototype car built on a Sunday while the production line was shut down and only the engineers were allowed in the plant. It is equipped with a one only 318XX Hemi and a transmission so rare that they never named it. It was so secret not even the head of Chrysler knew about it. The idea was scrapped when Fox and Martin wouldn't use a convertible but this prototype was quietly slipped out the door. LOL, well it sounded like some of the stories I read on eBay.

LOL...
With the 170 block, I was going to build the stroker using the 190 crank an such at first. With the final engine be a Australian 265 inline 6 hemi.

Thanks for filling me in on the miror obstruction. I am 6 ft an tend to sit back further. I will do more searching.

Do all 67 - 69 barracuda have the same backup lights down low? Almost looks like projectors?

John

-
Back