Possible to replace wiper bushings without pulling dash forward?

-

73SlantSwinger

Reaction score
When I bought my 73 swinger last Sept I knew only 1 wiper worked. So sure enough the bushings were toast. I took everything out (hopefully i'll remember how things go back lol) Is it possible to do this through the wiper motor hole on the firewall? I would hate to have to mess with the dash again, just put a new cluster in it......

When I bought my 73 swinger last Sept I knew only 1 wiper worked. So sure enough the bushings were toast. I took everything out (hopefully i'll remember how things go back lol) Is it possible to do this through the wiper motor hole on the firewall? I would hate to have to mess with the dash again, just put a new cluster in it......

You can take it out with the dash in............ take your time.

as Mark said yes just take your time.
Make sure you keep the socket square on the nuts they are kind of ***** to remove and if not careful you can break the studs off of the cowl - really not fun.

2 bushings on the left pivot assembly are easy with the inst' panel out. Wiper motor and right pivot assembly can be accessed through the radio/climate controller openings.

Did mine with everything in and it was not bad at all.
The wiper motor assy bushing is easily accessible from under the dash.
A pair of channel locks will be your best friend in there.
One thing though that I found out, is when you put a little grease in the cups punch a small hole or slit like the tip of a exacto knife in the cup bottoms.
They go on WAY easier and they like to pop back off from the trapped air if you don't.

-
Back