Possible turbo 318 build

-
Here is a reason to stay away from cheap Ebay Chinese turbos. I have never read anyone using an OBX turbo, but I would spend the money on a better brand.

p1000894wr7.jpg

Don't trucks run much higher boost figures which will make them less efficent at the lower boost number that a car will run?

I got offered a brand new garett T04E last night for about 1/3 what it's actually worth. Would that be any good on a 318?

truck-turbos have pretty wide powerband,plus they are of modern design! so if you choose one from a engine thats about doubble the size of your petrol engine, I can promise you some juice! lets take an example:
formula offroad car, mounted in a used 383 LS1-engine(sorry naming that) and fitted a turbo from a 14L scania, @ 0,9bar, thats about 12psi? he has 860hp. stock engine.
(i hope a picture of a chebby is ok!lol)

Bilde%20009.jpg

I wouldn't be so fast to blame the manufacturer of that turbo.....that appears to be FOD (Foriegn Object Damage) destruction...the smallest thing like a ziptie, or tiny pebble or grasshopper or anything can cause destruction.....thats why its so important to have some sort of filter PRE-Compressor Inlet.

It is true, that a gasoline engine needs a diesel or big truck turbo that is twice the Liter Displacement of the gasoline engine.....and its because of the air consumption....a diesel is wound out by 3500....and a gasoline engine can spin upwards of 6500.

Finding a appropriatly sized donor turbo and all the connections is another problem all in-itself.

I am not saying it cant be done, but stick with a universal T4 style turbo and anytime you need a replacement or upgrade, its as easy as taking one off and putting another on.

my .02 8)

I wouldn't be so fast to blame the manufacturer of that turbo.....that appears to be FOD (Foriegn Object Damage) destruction...the smallest thing like a ziptie, or tiny pebble or grasshopper or anything can cause destruction.....thats why its so important to have some sort of filter PRE-Compressor Inlet.

It is true, that a gasoline engine needs a diesel or big truck turbo that is twice the Liter Displacement of the gasoline engine.....and its because of the air consumption....a diesel is wound out by 3500....and a gasoline engine can spin upwards of 6500.

Finding a appropriatly sized donor turbo and all the connections is another problem all in-itself.

I am not saying it cant be done, but stick with a universal T4 style turbo and anytime you need a replacement or upgrade, its as easy as taking one off and putting another on.

my .02 8)

On that particular turbo, I don't know about FOD. I do know of more than a few people that used intakes and still had Ebay special turbos do the same thing.

The metals and processes used in China are not the same as Garrett, Precision, etc, etc uses.

I would not trust a knock-off turbo that is required to spin at 100,000 RPM or more.

I have read many times about Ebay turbos failing. I have only read a few success stories.

I would still pay for a name brand.

-
Back