possibly no more drag strip near me??

-

67moparfan

Reaction score
I have/had Speedworld close by, still have Firebird till end of March I believe.

Speedworld is closed until further notice, still don't know the whole story on this one. something to do with the land development/use without proper permits.

Firebird lease is up after 30years and the owner is not renewing, I heard Lucas was stepping in to take it...but haven't heard officially.

so I'll wait and see what happens and decide from there wether to sell my Dart or convert it to street use. (or hopefully keep racing here, somewhere)

sucks because I waited 20years to get a drag car (family always came first) and now I've had it for almost 2years (about 30-40 passes) and may not race anymore.
my Dad was always on me to get a car so I could race my brother, he always went to see him race, Dad passed away before I got my car to race my brother.

I guess I could drive to Vegas, but that would be few and far between.

bummer.

Isn't Firebird in Chandler, AZ? Was there last year when John Force was testing. I thought it was a nice track. Sad to see something that nice closed. Not sure but I think they race drag boats there also.

From what I read yesterday, Firebird will reopen after March 31 with new management, the papers have already been signed...

http://www.arizonaautoscene.com/archives/14653

Earlier today they contacted the Gila River Indian Community inquiring about employment at the track, should it stay open. The Community informed them that a management firm has been signed on to operate the track for them. The management firm will be taking over shortly after Firebird’s closing on March 31st.

Speedworld is a pissing match between the current lease holder and the county. The lease holder has done improvements on the property without getting the proper permits.

Might see a new lease holder on the track ...dont think the state or the county really wants to shut the track down...they just want their coins for the permits...

Speedworld is a pissing match between the current lease holder and the county. The lease holder has done improvements on the property without getting the proper permits.

Yup, also the lease holder has been taken to court on several occasions because he hasn't paid the contractors for the improvements done. There are multiple mechanics liens on the property.

There was also a lawsuit to the tune of nearly a million dollars against Speedworld, the owner and some investment group. Not really sure what that was all about.

Might see a new lease holder on the track ...dont think the state or the county really wants to shut the track down...they just want their coins for the permits...

Don't ask us SoCal people about a place called "Drag City". That didn't go so well here.

No it has nothing to do with transvestites... so don't start! LOL

Don't ask us SoCal people about a place called "Drag City". That didn't go so well here.

No it has nothing to do with transvestites... so don't start! LOL

As soon as I saw the Drag City I was thinking of Banning ....Drag City...lol

The indians wanted Charlie gone...

Speedworld sounds like the management has run roughshod over everything and the state has had enough. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a move to get him gone as well and new management come in. I do believe the state is PO'd about the lawsuit as well. Without being a "fly on the wall" in the state/county meetings, who knows.

-
Back